• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

new alt... still won't start

Someone should positively verify spark, pull a plug, leave wire attached, ground metal body of plug and crank motor, look for spark........You can use starting fluid to start a motor in that condition, but I'd be REAL careful with that stuff, no more than a 2 second shot in airbox. I watched someone overdo that stuff once and when done there were 6 out of 8 connecting rods laying out of the sides of the block and oilpan had like 10 holes in it.

Someone should positively verify spark, pull a plug, leave wire attached, ground metal body of plug and crank motor, look for spark.

Please don't!

Either leave the plug in or pull the fuel pump fuse and relieve pressure. An inductive timing light also works.

If there is no spark check the crankshaft sensor wiring and power to the coil.

Triple check coilpack. I'm thinking either loose ground strap, or misrouted SP wires. Check for corrosion on bottom of coilpack and groundstrap as well.

well thought of!

The spark plug wiring isn't identical from the coilpack to the block.

there are two plugs that are reversed.

Well, I suppose I should not assume that someone could do that w/o blowing himself up. Pulling fuel pump fuse a good idea, but many backyard mechs will bleed pressure off with the schrader valve and greatly magnify the explosion possibilities, so that's no safer. I always place that sparking plug WAY AWAY from any fuel source such as the open plug hole which will pump out fuel vapors. I've even got a quick plug on LOOOOOOONG plug wire for such purpose.

I had this exact problem when I swapped motors in my 95 se. Ford pulled a quick one on me and labeled the coil pack with something like 1-3-5 and then on the opposite side, 2-6-4. I switched those and it started right up (after a minute of cranking from a flooded engine)

My car does the crank but no start every once in a while and to get it started I simply wiggle the crank sensor wire and it starts. I was just talking to another owner who had the same issue with his SVT. It's certainly worth a try.

Back