• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Odd Headlight Issues

2000ZxT

Hard-core CEG'er
I just bought a 1999 Mystique ( which I am in LOVE with), but one problem.

When I turn on the low beams nothing happens, when I turn on the high beams both head lights come on.

I was going to replace the low beams but they work so it must be electrical?

Any thoughts?

I just bought a 1999 Mystique ( which I am in LOVE with), but one problem.

When I turn on the low beams nothing happens, when I turn on the high beams both head lights come on.

I was going to replace the low beams but they work so it must be electrical?

Any thoughts?

Well, the low beam filament could be shot, right? I'm not sure if you could have a relay that's garbage -- I had one fail in my first Taurus SHO, but nothing other than the parking lights worked unless you used the flash-to-pass function, whereupon everything would light up. Made for an interesting drive home.

Sounds like a relay/wiring problem. A good temporary fix is to take out the high beam bulbs so you don't blind people :laugh:. I'm personally unfamiliar with the wiring for the headlights. People with the fog light mod will be able to chime in, though.

If all 4 lights are coming on then its a switch, relay or fuse problem. Have you checked the fuse box?

Filaments are good, I went to replace them today assuming they were busted but that's when I noticed they turn on on hi beam.

I'll go check the fuses/relays right now.

To the guy from East Longmeadow, do you know Drew Pansa (random question)?

Filaments are good, I went to replace them today assuming they were busted but that's when I noticed they turn on on hi beam.

I'll go check the fuses/relays right now.

To the guy from East Longmeadow, do you know Drew Pansa (random question)?

Yeah I knew him in school. Wasn't really friends with him or anything but I knew him :p

Interesting, I was really good friends with him till he moved over there right before highschool. What a small world.

Anyways I found the relay for the low beams, I'll replace it after work, hopefully that does it .

I cant find the fuse box inside the car!!!! Where is it!?

Interesting, I was really good friends with him till he moved over there right before highschool. What a small world.

Anyways I found the relay for the low beams, I'll replace it after work, hopefully that does it .

the headlight one should be under the hood i think, but im not sure. i dont know where the one inside your particular car is, but it should be below and to the left of the steering wheel, or somewhere around that area.

Yeah I'm at work I can't get out to the car much, I'm sure I'll find it later today.

I am not looking forward to working on that engine!! The engine is so huge and the bay is soo tiny.

Welcome to the world of the Contique, lol. If you have the V6, just hope that your alternator doesn't die on you :laugh:

The Contour is Eurocentric, and doesn't have the traditional Ford pulldown under the lower driver's dash trim panel. You'll find what you're looking for underhood. :cool:

I do have the V6.

I was relieved to find papers stating the alternator was replaced in 2006.

I seriously am in love with this car, the MTX75 tranny is awsome, the V6 power is awesome and it drives like a much more expensive car.

I'm glad I found a daily driver I can unconditionally love.

I checked the relays and the fuses and nothing seems to be wrong.

I can't figure it out, I found the cleverly 'passenger compartment' fuse box.

Everything checks out, new bulbs, but still nothing, I checked most of the connection but I have noooo idea whats going on.

The relay is not clicking (with a good relay), as it does when it goes into aka it has no power at all. So the problem may be before the fuses/relay.

Yeah I swapped the switch, but it was from a 98 and now only my low beams turn on. :shrug:

I'm just going to wire the fog lights to the high beams and turn on high beam for low beam, and fog lights for hi beam. Gotta love Ford.

I'm getting a new bumper, when I do I'll get new fog lights and fix the switch/whatever.

This is really just to pass inspection, I only have 1 day left in my 10 day grace period.

Back