• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

AUTO LOCKS locking me out!

A

akira311

I have a 1999 Contour SE and the drivers door jam switch likes to stick. So this causes the doors to lock when the car is being started. I have locked myself out numerous times and am getting tired of this. I was wondering, since i dont have the manual for the car, If there is a way to disable this feature? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

not really a solution... but when i start my car i make sure to open the window enough just in case.at least its a safe backup until you get your auto locks figured out... i didnt even know contours had the auto-locks

Check around under the dash to find out what type of alarm/anti-theft you have. Ford didn't use auto-lock on any year Contour.

My car has a Karr alarm that locks the doors about 5 seconds after starting the car. I now keep an unchipped spare key on the car incase it ever locks me out again.
What do you mean by the door jam switch?

if the switch is sticking its time to clean it or put a new switch in :shrug:

unless you mean something else, not really sure ...

my contour has no auto lock feature but sometimes when i close the doors when the car is still running it locks itself. im not sure but it seems to do it when the back doors are locked and the front doors are unlocked. then if i shut the door with the car still running it locks. i have had to break into my car 3 times because of this.

that isn't normal. you should check wiring to make sure everything is ok and look for signs of an aftermarket alarm.

also on the early 95 the door locks didn't have the raised bump around the switch and one could hit the lock button when openning the door.

The car has remote entry, and there is a box for that under the dash. I had to re-sync the remote to the car recently. As for the auto locks, could the remote entry system be locking the doors when the car is started and it thinks all the doors are closed?

The car has remote entry, and there is a box for that under the dash. I had to re-sync the remote to the car recently. As for the auto locks, could the remote entry system be locking the doors when the car is started and it thinks all the doors are closed?

if it is a factory keyless entry it will not function when the ignition is on

I recall that this is a problem which many other people have. From what I can remember, no one has a clear cut solution yet...:shrug:

Never heard of this. I would mad as all get out if that occured. Rarely leave the car running without me inside though.

Back