• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Horrible sound from front end when i accelerate

Are we saying here that it is a NORMAL noise? I've never heard mine make that sound at all even when the system was enabled. It's not now, I hated how long stops took, sometimes it seemed the ABS kicked in WAY too early, even to the point of coming on at as little as 5 mph in a parking lot, without hitting the brakes hard at all. It stops great with it OFF.

The ABS can apply it's own pressure, it does not rely on the pedal. The noise you hear on startup is the pump cycling to make sure it can make the required pressure. If it can't make correct pressure it sets a flag and turns the light on. The noise is most likely from a defective pump (part of controller) as it runs through the self test.

Thank you, sir. A little knowledge is a dangerous thing........

amc49...just for your future reference, ALL SVT's are manual and correct me if I'm wrong, having traction control is an extremely rare fluke.

Thanks again, I don't know a whole lot about all Contours, but quite a bit about the one I have, standard Zetec 4, CD4E (exploded once, but I repaired it).

Back