• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

2009 Acura TSX 6-Speed vs. 98-00 SVT Contour

having worked for acura for about 8 months i drove tsx's quite a bit, they definetly feel slower than the svt because of the lack of torque and the vtec kicks in quite late it is only usuable for like 1000-1500 rpms i think, also the clutches are a PAIN! in tsxs the dealer charges $1600 for a clutch replacement in tsx.

aside from that my buddy has one with an intake and a skunk2 exhaust and its one of the best 4cly's ive ever heard aside from the s2k. really awsome no rasp at all.

svt all day

svt all day

i like the older tsx but the new one looks no bueno. cool info to know though

HP is nothing in the low end. Torque should be compared also. You need torque to get the vehicle moving.
The TSX has 172 lb ft of torque, whereas the SVT has 165lb ft. So all in all I bet it is a pretty even match.

I like the csvt over the tsx, but I have to say I absolutely love the TL, and will probably purchase one for my next car.

The last body style TL/TSX was dead sexy. Unfortunately it looks like Honda let the Accord designers have a go at the Acura. Pity. I, much like Todd, just don't get why people think Hondas are the be-all end-all of the automotive world. They're just more deceitful than the Big 3 at covering up their recalls. Oh, that's right. Honda doesn't have recalls. Just "service issues."

The last TSX looked better IMO. The last one also looked similar to a Mazda 6. Mazda 6 is a far superior buy that beats it in price and performance too. Don't understand why people like Honda's so much.

1st gen with the square tail pipes that matched the body perfectly = win

Thought this was interesting.

Some TSX numbers:
201hp 2.4 inline 4 cyl
0-60 in 6.7 seconds (This I gotta see)
25 mpg (observed fuel economy)
.85g on the skidpad
70-0 braking: 181'
Dealer price:30k

SVT Contour
195-200 hp 2.5 V6
0-60 6.9 seconds
City mpg 20, Hwy 29. Mixed around 25 if you drive normal
.91g on the skidpad
60-0 braking: 134'
Dealer price:23k

These cars are roughly 10 years apart. Quite a difference today. I guess getting as much out of 4 cyl is the most impressive. I'm guessing you have to really wring the hell out of it to get the performance numbers though.

The accord in Europe is basically the same car, but the 2.4 engine has a little less power. Here, they quote a 0-62 time of 8 seconds (probably a 7.7-7.8 to 60) which sounds more like it. They (car companies) nearly always have different 0-60 times for the same models sold in Europe and the US. I remember the ST200 was quoted as a 0-60 of 7, 7.2 seconds but the SVT Tour was always quoted in the high 6's. Maybe you Americans can just launch a FWD car harder than us Euros ;)

Back