• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

leaking coolant need help!

kidSVT

CEG'er
I hit a racoon last night on my way home, I couldn't swerve cause a car coming the other way. about an hour later my coolant light came on, and this morning i took a look at it, and my coolant level was way low. So i jacked it up and took a look, and this is what I found:

Anyone know what I can do to fix it? need it by tonight, i'm leaving for Colorado tomorrow morning!!

My first thought was to get some caulk and caulk that whole area, to try and seal it. If thats a terrible idea, please let me know.

Thanks
~Andrew

lol. he said caulk it.

honestly im not sure if its a bad idea or not. there should be sumthin better you can do though then caulking it. i use to own an 84 camaro w/ the 305 and it only lost antifreeze when it wasnt running. that thing was a beast. i drove 15000 miles in a year with a coolant leak the whole time. i drove all over the place with that thing waiting for it to overheat and blow up and sometimes the radiator was bone dry and not once did it ever overheat. amazing car.

back to subject: i cant even really tell from the vid where its coming from. where exactly is it coming from?

haha, well lucky you!

I think I can pin point the leak (by the arrow) if that helps.

IMG_0260.jpg

a crack of some kind :confused:
IMG_0262.jpg

The rad. doesn't take kindly to repairs. In that spot especially. You broke the mount stud coming out the bottom of the end tank. No way to fix with replacing or at least removing it to take to a rad. shop.

That picture does not tell you exactly where the leak point is!
may be it is some place upper on radiator fin, and it just drops down from that point so look with light all over the radiator closely to find exact place, if it is not big ,there are some stuff from 3-8 bucks at walmart or other places, you simply add to coolant they are compatible with system, and fix the leak, if it is big crack you have to drain the system, dry the place, and probably fix it whit J-weld, if it is not accesible you have to remove the radiator.

Back