• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

RPM drop too quickly

CLASSVT

Veteran CEG'er
Hey I've had this issue since the last time I had my motor rebuilt (two years ago). The rpm drops too quickly between shifts, causing mild vibrating jolts in the steering wheel when the clutch catches. I know I have a small exhaust leak somewhere. Could that cause it? It's severity seems to fluctuate, sometimes leading to stalling, but it's usually just a mild annoyance. Any help is appreciated.

I'm not familiar with "Spec" parts. Is the flywheel lighter than stock? If so, they are harder to take off from a start with. What kind of clutch disc/pressure plate? If stiffer plate and disc has no shock absorber then harder to take off also, easier to jerk.

Yep, assuming you are writing about the SVT, if that Spec flywheel is lighter your revs are going to drop faster so you're just going to have to adjust your shifting style to compensate. That's the way it is with some of these modifications. I hope you have a LSD (ASD?) as well or that less than smooth clutch engagement you are experiencing will be the death of it eventually.
Karl

Wow, I had never even considered the fact that it could be the lighter flywheel. And it started doing it right after the rebuild, when I subsiquently had my new flywheel installed. Taking off is fine, but it seems to effect the shifts mostly when shifting from 2nd to 3rd, and it's not violent in any way but it certainly could be smoother. My clutch is not in good shape. I am a victim of the SPEC random clutch failures, even previous to having the flywheel installed. It slips under heavy acceleration, and needs replacing. Could a worn clutch have any blame in the situation? Maybe I'll just have to start blipping the throttle between shifts. That could get annoying.

Heavier flywheel means more inertia which keeps engine speed from dropping quite so quickly in the second it takes you to shift. Flipside is that less inertia (lighter flywheel) allows motor to rev quicker once in gear. You win something, you lose something.

Well this all makes sense and all, but it does not do this consistantly. So it can not be only the flywheel weight. For example, today on the way to work the rpm were dropping at a slower rate and it was smooth between shifts.:shrug:

Wow, I had never even considered the fact that it could be the lighter flywheel. And it started doing it right after the rebuild, when I subsiquently had my new flywheel installed. Taking off is fine, but it seems to effect the shifts mostly when shifting from 2nd to 3rd, and it's not violent in any way but it certainly could be smoother. My clutch is not in good shape. I am a victim of the SPEC random clutch failures, even previous to having the flywheel installed. It slips under heavy acceleration, and needs replacing. Could a worn clutch have any blame in the situation? Maybe I'll just have to start blipping the throttle between shifts. That could get annoying.

I blip the throttle for most all of my downshifts, but having to do it for upshifts would be annoying. The IAC is a common source of throttle malfeasance in this car. I would clean that first, then check for any vacuum leaks.

Back