• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Destroyed my tranny on a hard launch

fl98svt

New CEG'er
Car is a 98 contour svt. Well i launched my car at 2K Rpms and it did a few wheel hops and then the car stopped moving and the engined just revved up. Towed it to ford and they say there's a big hole in the tranny. They also said that new trannies are obsolete. So i have to buy a used one. I have a mechanic that will do a side job for me that works mostly on mazdas. He found a few used trannies from the junk yard. He said it's from a mercury. Are these the same trannies that are in the SVT. Do they have the same syncros? What other car trannies will work for the contour svt?
Please help, i'm gonna order a tranny Monday

BAT had new transmission at one point. Do you really think it's smart to put a used one in that could blow in 10k with another weak differential? Better off sending a trans. to a known MTX-75 builder and have a Quaife or Torson put in. All 98-00 V6 transmissions are the same. The older ones are rod shift. I have one with 80k on it that works fine but I have no idea what condition it's in. I just know it works. I could take it to Terry Haines for a rebuild if you'd like. You're going to pay now or pay double when a used one goes. I'd be really scared to get out out of some yard.

Thanks todras for the reply. I see what your saying, but i'm not in the position financially to pay for a rebuild or have the time to wait for one. The mechanic that is doing a side job for me, said the tranny he found comes with a short term warranty and is $350. I'm not gonna rag on my daily driver anymore i learned my lesson. Ford wanted $2400 to install a used low mileage tranny.Tranny was $1000.00 and is 10.5 hour R&R. That's probably what my car is worth with 110K miles on it. I was looking at getting a truck 4 months ago, and i was gonna trade in the contour and they offered me $1000 for it. My rims are worth more than that are on it. I just don't want to pay for a repair that exceeds the value of the car.

Thanks for answering my concerns, i just needed to confirm that the gearing is the same in the tranny, since this model is a svt, thought it might have something different done to it.

And what is the short term warranty. Every post on here has someone that says they don't have the $. The car would sell better with a known built trans. I doubt the car is worth $1000. If you want to trade it in at a dealer of course it's going to be $1000. Clean it and put it on Autotrader and someone will buy it for 3-4k I'd bet. That is unless the body is beat to hell and gone. You can get a rebuilt trans. with a Quaife in the $1400 range. That is small peanuts for a built "performance" transmission. Oh well, then pay now or pay double later when it takes a dump. I don't even know why people post here because they go go against everything people tell them anyways. They always come back crying.

^^this man speaks the truf!!:laugh:
your car in fair to good condition books for 34-3900. it still has plenty of life left,why not treat it to a new tranny w/a torsen!? than you can really enjoy the car,and for a long time to come

2k rpm's and it broke WOW I guess I was lucky for YEARS before I got mine built cause I raced it time and time again and launched everytime between 3k-3,500k

Yep, wheel hop will kill a tranny QUICK.

You can use any mtx from a Mystique, Contour, SVT Contour, or Cougar; from 98-2002.

I just put a new Torsen differential in my Cougar; I scored a junkyard transaxle from a 99 Contour and ordered a Torsen online. That's DEFINITELY the way to go; I did the trans, Torsen, clutch, and Fidanza for right around a $1,200. It's like an entirely different car. A lot of places won't even get you a replacement stock tranny alone for that price.

BAT had new transmission at one point. Do you really think it's smart to put a used one in that could blow in 10k with another weak differential? Better off sending a trans. to a known MTX-75 builder and have a Quaife or Torson put in. All 98-00 V6 transmissions are the same. The older ones are rod shift. I have one with 80k on it that works fine but I have no idea what condition it's in. I just know it works. I could take it to Terry Haines for a rebuild if you'd like. You're going to pay now or pay double when a used one goes. I'd be really scared to get out out of some yard.

Or pay tripple now and take it to Terry

I hope you guys are correct about the manual trannys being the same for all the models. I just order a tranny and it was advertised as a 1998 ford contour 2.5 V6 Manual excluding SVT. When my mechanic called them to order a tranny, they asked if it was for a svt, and he said yes, then the price doubled for a tranny. That’s why I ordered the one excluding SVT, cause people on here said it’s all the same. Even the search engine has it broken up in different categories.
SEE http://car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi, if it doesn’t work, http://car-part.com/ just enter 1998 ford contour/ Tranny/ Any state/ zip and you will see there’s a svt tranny.

Well if it doesn’t work on a SVT, I’m out $400. I hope they are all the same. Thanks for your help, I would have spent twice as much for a SVT tranny, I guess junk yards don’t know they are the same.

I hope you guys are correct about the manual trannys being the same for all the models. I just order a tranny and it was advertised as a 1998 ford contour 2.5 V6 Manual excluding SVT. When my mechanic called them to order a tranny, they asked if it was for a svt, and he said yes, then the price doubled for a tranny. That’s why I ordered the one excluding SVT, cause people on here said it’s all the same. Even the search engine has it broken up in different categories.
SEE http://car-part.com/cgi-bin/search.cgi, if it doesn’t work, http://car-part.com/ just enter 1998 ford contour/ Tranny/ Any state/ zip and you will see there’s a svt tranny.

Well if it doesn’t work on a SVT, I’m out $400. I hope they are all the same. Thanks for your help, I would have spent twice as much for a SVT tranny, I guess junk yards don’t know they are the same.
dont worry bud, they are the same. long as u r 100% sure the one u pickd up is for a manual post98 v6. they're called mtx75s also

Car is a 98 contour svt. Well i launched my car at 2K Rpms and it did a few wheel hops and then the car stopped moving and the engined just revved up. Towed it to ford and they say there's a big hole in the tranny. They also said that new trannies are obsolete. So i have to buy a used one. I have a mechanic that will do a side job for me that works mostly on mazdas. He found a few used trannies from the junk yard. He said it's from a mercury. Are these the same trannies that are in the SVT. Do they have the same syncros? What other car trannies will work for the contour svt?
Please help, i'm gonna order a tranny Monday

Man that sucks!... I don't know much about trans, but good luck to ya! I'm hoping everything works out for me when my clutch and trans work is said and done.

Frank

Back