• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I'm worried

WingBender

CEG'er
A few days ago, my Check Engine light went off. It hasn't gone back on since then. I'm beginning to think that something might be right with my car. Any input the forum members can provide on this issue would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

go unplug the upstream o2 for a minute.
Thanks, I'll give it a try.

If that doesn't work, I'm considering obtaining some day-glo orange tape, carefully cutting a piece 1cm square, and affixing it to the clear plastic panel that covers the dashboard instruments, right over where the Check Engine light is located. Does anyone have experience with this type of fix? Any tips on the correct brand of tape to use? I really don't feel comfortable driving around with the CEL off, and I want to get this resolved as soon as possible.

If that doesn't work, I'm considering obtaining some day-glo orange tape, carefully cutting a piece 1cm square, and affixing it to the clear plastic panel that covers the dashboard instruments, right over where the Check Engine light is located. Does anyone have experience with this type of fix? Any tips on the correct brand of tape to use? I really don't feel comfortable driving around with the CEL off, and I want to get this resolved as soon as possible.

Sounds lke you have it nailed down!

Funny, when mine finally turned off, I had this ghost image of the light on in my mind. I kept doing the "quick look" to make sure I wasnt imagining things.

Be careful, you are just applying a cosmetic fix. That will work for a while but you really need to get the CEL bulb checked as soon as possible in case its blown.

I gave up on trying to remove my cel problems

I just tell people that my engine just wants me to check on it every night :cool:

I have a code for the temp sensor testing too high..... comes and goes on by itself.... At first I was always under the hood checking the temp with a temp gauge and everything was cool the kicker is the car can sit for 2 days bone cold and start it then the cel comes on its gotta be in my wire harness cause if i play with it it goes away..... but anyways it could be a plug dirty..etc. just pull the code and check that sensor.

Luckily my SVT has been easily fixed. DPFE and an IMRC are the only issues so far. My SE had a permanent CE light. Replaced everything on that damn car.

A few days ago, my Check Engine light went off. It hasn't gone back on since then. I'm beginning to think that something might be right with my car. Any input the forum members can provide on this issue would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Wow lucky even a ford dealer couldn't do that for me. You sir have the luck o' the irish on your side. Or stan.

Update!

Update!

Okay, I was heading home from work the other day, doing about 65 mph on the freeway. Something caught the corner of my eye, and I looked down to see a familiar sight.

The Check Engine light was back on.

Right at that moment, the engine felt as though it had just a tad more power, the car seemed a little quieter inside, and when I got out, the paint looked slightly more shiny. It was probably just my imagination, but I swear the whole car feels more right now.

Has anyone else had a similar experience when their CEL finally went back on?

Okay, I was heading home from work the other day, doing about 65 mph on the freeway. Something caught the corner of my eye, and I looked down to see a familiar sight.

The Check Engine light was back on.

Right at that moment, the engine felt as though it had just a tad more power, the car seemed a little quieter inside, and when I got out, the paint looked slightly more shiny. It was probably just my imagination, but I swear the whole car feels more right now.

Has anyone else had a similar experience when their CEL finally went back on?
I'd say that's just butt dyno. Get some real numbers to prove it! :p

Back