• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

exhaust too quiet

Ghost2308

CEG'er
i just got my trubendz exhaust put on. its the borla muffler. i got a 97 2.5 gl. it sounds great but its to quiet. does anyone have any cheap suggestions to making it louder? i was thinking of just gutting the cat. how much of a difference would that make. its a stock cat. probablly original being that my car only has 97000 miles.

i just got my trubendz exhaust put on. its the borla muffler. i got a 97 2.5 gl. it sounds great but its to quiet. does anyone have any cheap suggestions to making it louder? i was thinking of just gutting the cat. how much of a difference would that make. its a stock cat. probablly original being that my car only has 97000 miles.

If you wanted a louder catback you should of purcahsed a magnaflow exhaust. Because Borla is known for its unique quiet sounding exhaust.

Since we can not go back wards, replacing the stock cat with a test pipe would be your next step to increasing exhaust noise :)

what kind of sound difference would i get with a gutted cat?

Um if you look above in the sticky section, you will see a bunch of links sending you to exhaust clips people have recorded of their cars.

That is where you need to go :)

Please don't gut your main cat, buy an aftermarket test pipe or hi flow cat. I would recommend the high flow cat. Trubendz sells these too and it will add volume to your exhaust. So would an aftermarket y pipe or gutting your precats.

what sound difference would i get with gutted pre cats? im tryin to do somethin quick and cheap that will sound good. i like the throaty sound of this exhaust so i dont wanna ruin that but i just want it louder. i dont even need a big difference just somethin that i can do for now and change later.

what sound difference would i get with gutted pre cats? im tryin to do somethin quick and cheap that will sound good. i like the throaty sound of this exhaust so i dont wanna ruin that but i just want it louder. i dont even need a big difference just somethin that i can do for now and change later.

Go to an exhaust shop have them remove the cat and put in a straight pipe.

that should be cheap, that way you can always re install the cat if you want.

Should be like 30 dollars? heck you can do this mod yourself.

Get a hack saw ans cut at at each end, place a pipe in the middle, with clamps or have that welded and your good to go.

um. why not just gut it? is there a difference?

Yes.

You will gain noise increase but why suffer from obstructions from the side walls of the inside of the cat. You want a clear constant pressure throught the exhaust to help keep great flow and sound balance.

Why not cut it out and install a pipe? Easy and will cost less than 20 dollars for all the tools and clamps/pipe.

well im gonna do that but it might be a bit of a problem gettin it inspected. i should beable to get it done though. thanx for the help.

yeah i guess i could do that. i should be able to get it inspected though straight piped. theres some redneck garages around here that dont care and usually dont even check for a cat.

yeah i guess i could do that. i should be able to get it inspected though straight piped. theres some redneck garages around here that dont care and usually dont even check for a cat.

If thats the case, then pucnh it out and use it for looks.

Because you ahve 2 precats and that will be good enough to keep you from getting in trouble and fined/flagged W/E it is called.

We got rid of ours back in 1994-1996 i think

it wont be a problem getting it inspected. they dont do visual inspections iin PA i am told. i dont have any cats on my car and it sounds GREAT. i have the borla muffler as well but i also have the trubendz y-pipe and the msds shorty headers so that adds to it :)

the reason you dont want to gut your cat is because its expensive. if you need to put it back on later for any reason you will have it, and in its original condition. or you could sell it hehe

edit: nvm, you DONT get a visual check. ONLY OBD and gas cap check for emissions on a 1997 car. :-D be happy

well i can tell you now, any respected shop is not going to remove your cat and weld in a straight pipe for you. Atleast round here they won't work on your car if you don't have a cat, since it's illegal to remove them.

So if your going to do anything you'd have to buy a testpipe and install yourself or get a high flow cat. your best options, i wouldn't gut the cat.

just stop being cheap. Buy the Y-pipe that has a section where you can remove the cat and bolt in a test pipe. That way if you need to put your cat back on all you have to do is put the car on jacks and bolt-in the high flow cat.

Trubendz sells these.

Gutting your Cats is a :nonono:

just stop being cheap. Buy the Y-pipe that has a section where you can remove the cat and bolt in a test pipe. That way if you need to put your cat back on all you have to do is put the car on jacks and bolt-in the high flow cat.

Trubendz sells these.

Gutting your Cats is a :nonono:

No offense, you are contradicting yourself. Buy a test pipe but its a :nonono: to gut them?

Even if he did gut the main one, he would still pass emissions. We have 2 pre cats on our cars that do wonders for emissions already.

If you walk up to a muffler shop with cash in hand and say you don't want a reciept, then they don't have a paper trail if you get in trouble. Go there and get your cat removed and have a pipe welded in. You'll definately hear a difference. I had the same thing done to mine. AMAZING!

best way to make the exhaust louder is to install headers. a y-pipe will also help. my car with headers, optimized y-pipe, test pipe with high flow cat, borla muffler and resonator was more then loud enough. but it wasn't so loud it was annoying .... now its to quiet for me ...

Magnaflow FTW!! :drool::drool:

Right now my setup is:

Weapon-R Headers-->Weapon-R Y-Pipe-->Flex Pipe-->High Flow Cat-->Magnaflow SS 14316 Muffler (Center)-->Magnaflow SS Race Series (x2) 14842 Mufflers. Piping is all 2.5" SS.

The sound of the exhaust combined with a K&N intake is butt secks.

I loved my Borla cat-back but it was just a little too quiet for me.

Back