• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

radiator replacement

T Hudson Jr

CEG'er
How difficult is it. How long does it take. I was jacking my car up to put my fixed alternator back on..........and it slipped off the jack and the jack went through the radiator. this sucks... any help.

it was the first time i used the parking brake while jacking it up. iv edone it 10 times using the same spot this is the first time anything went wrong.

ok first thing don't feel bad i too have done this. if your car is lowered, it can be a real pita, so going from the front is easier.(but you see the conciquences) second, the radiator is not that hard just a litle time consuming. of couse drop it out the bottom, be careful of the oilcooler( my second mistake)(sort of, got replaced with a much better unit). the hanes manual really helped.

ok First Thing Don't Feel Bad I Too Have Done This. If Your Car Is Lowered, It Can Be A Real Pita, So Going From The Front Is Easier.(but You See The Conciquences) Second, The Radiator Is Not That Hard Just A Litle Time Consuming. Of Couse Drop It Out The Bottom, Be Careful Of The Oilcooler( My Second Mistake)(sort Of, Got Replaced With A Much Better Unit). The Hanes Manual Really Helped.

Can I Take The Bumper Off And Take It Out Of The Front??

Not sure whats he's talking about. The oil cooler you dont have is mounted on the engine. Now if you have an auto there may be lines into the side or bottom of the radiator.

No you can't take radiator out from the front. It comes out from below. The other thing you're talking about is the a/c condenser, if it's about the same size as the radiator. Oil cooler is smaller. The condenser stays in the car while radiator comes out, or you'll have to let the refrigerant out of the a/c system. Condenser may need to be tied to the front crossmember to support it once it's unbolted from the radiator. You need to think about what would happen to you if you were under the car when jack fell. Always use an added jackstand or something else to support if the jack fails. It ain't worth it, bubba!!

Not trying to rag on you, message as much to me as others. Sometimes I get up under car thinking "this'll only take a second" and not use stand. I always make sure though that jack is secure under a major part, but when under car, I'm thinking what if this jack blew a seal or somesuch right about now? That's stupid thinking, after the jack fails it's too late to rethink things..........

The radiator replacement how-to is in the Duratec Maintenance Forum, under the "Read first" thread.

Replacing the radiator is easy and will only tak you about 2-3 hours.

Off the top of my head you only need to remove
-4 bolts (bottom mounts for radiator)
-2 hoses (top and bottom radiator hoses)

Done deal. It should slide right out.

Most of the work is draining the system of antifreeze. Just be glad you don't have an SVT. As the SVT radiators are discontinued.

Back