• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

CSVT value??

ovalracer98csvt

New CEG'er
I am possibly thinking about selling my 98' svt for finacial reasons. I was just curious of what you guys think it is worth if i do decide to sell it.

The car has 75k on it, body and interior are in great condition, Thoreador red.

3l swap, (upgraded pan, DMD, etc.) w/ 2.5 split port upper intake, 30k on motor.

MSDS headers, ud pulleys, oprtimized tb, kkm intake, xcal 2 programmer.

The car was actually never beat on. The only reason i put the mods on is because i spun a rod bearing in the old 2.5 and figured i better just put the mods on while the motor was out. I have only put on about 6k since the swap which has been almost all highway miles. I was thinkin $6,000 sounds reasonable.... lmk what u think.... thanks

Last edited:
resale is nothing on these cars .... a modded one will be even harder to sell ... its only valuable to the right person ...price might be reasonable but you may never get that ...

If you can find someone whose looking for a 3L contour/csvt, you could probably get that. (heck i'd buy it for that if i needed a car/had the money)

but for someone just looking for a "car" i don't think you'll get quite that much. (perceived reliability comes into play due to the mods.)

thanks for the input guys, the mods i have installed do not affect reliabilty one bit. If it did, i would not have done them. I would say it would be more reliable than the original 2.5. The 3l have been converted to split port manifolds so you cant even tell it is a 3l. It runs stronger than the 2.5 and doesnt have the oiling issues that the 2.5 did.

Heck i paid $7,000 for this car 4 months ago, and put another 3k into it the way it sits now. The booked for $7,200 when i bought it, and now i am seeing the resale on these cars and am just blown away! ouch!!

Last edited:
If you are already in one if these cars, might as well make sure you like it.

Any resale is going to take a beating.

That said, think what it would cost to replace it with another car of equal performance/fun to drive/practicality traits.

CSVTs are still a great deal. Unfortunately, that only seems to be realized by current owners.

Hope it works out for you.

3L SVT in MN for sale...why oh why don't I have the $$$$$ to get it now?!?!! ARRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would recomend for you to try your harderst to keep the car. Its a great car and I know as soon as you sell it you will regret it. Good luck with what ever you do.

My car probably costs me more than most people have sunken into (not including those who also bought new)

Bought new -- $22,000 OTD
Ford Reman'd transmission + brand new SVT clutch + labor -- $2,450
FastCougar built 3L + HMS tranny -- $4,450 (I was able to offset some with my existing parts)

It's already $28,900

Then there are extras which I haven't installed:
Parts for whole suspension overhaul -- BAT kit, Eibach springs, new LCAs, mounts, knuckles, bearings, Roush RSB, Rawbert, subframe connectors, heatshield, Ford Racing wires, Warmonger Big Brake kit, etc., all brand new -- another $2,500 - $3,000

So the car costs me the same cost overall as a 350Z or G35. Will I get any good money back? No way. So I am keeping it for another 8 years -- with all freshly built drive train and suspension, I think it should last.

Come to think in another way -- the car is all paid for, the insurance cost is $650/12 months with full coverage, the driving is good, and the car and I have strong bond. The only thing I don't like, is the MPG. It's like 22 MPG, about 3 MPG lower than the original 2.5L. When every thing is considered, I am a happy camper for keeping my CSVT. Just like another poster wrote, with the $ I get from selling this car, what else in the market can be had with all the functionality?

My car probably costs me more than most people have sunken into (not including those who also bought new)
To be fair you did say "most", but some people here (Buckshot, etc) have you completely blown out of the water.

a local guy how see my car tell to me he give me 8500 dlls and i say no and not because i thing worth more is because this is one of the cars i want to get old with it.

to some is just a car for my is MY CAR

ok your car have more stuff than mine and is a reasonable pprice if here in mexico give to me 8500 in usa worth more a car like yours

Money spent on mods is typically not returned. Even if bought by someone who can appreciate that it's a 3L, that person can't speak for the work done on the motor - it could blow 3 months from now. Not to accuse you or your mechanic of shoddy work, but that's just the way it is. I've read a faira mount of stories involving blown 3l's - especially in the beginning.

Honestly, it'd probably be worth more if it were stock.

Money spent on mods is typically not returned. Even if bought by someone who can appreciate that it's a 3L, that person can't speak for the work done on the motor - it could blow 3 months from now. Not to accuse you or your mechanic of shoddy work, but that's just the way it is. I've read a faira mount of stories involving blown 3l's - especially in the beginning.

Honestly, it'd probably be worth more if it were stock.

I would have to disagree, A 3l swap that is done right will NOT blow up in 3 months or 3 years. I have not heard of any NA 3l blowing up in the beginning, if they did is was because someone throwing insane amount of NO2, running unsafe boost levels or not being set-up right. A 3l will either last just as long as a 2.5 if not longer. A 3l having better designed heads which is basically the only downfall of the 2.5L.

I would have to disagree, A 3l swap that is done right will NOT blow up in 3 months or 3 years. I have not heard of any NA 3l blowing up in the beginning, if they did is was because someone throwing insane amount of NO2, running unsafe boost levels or not being set-up right. A 3l will either last just as long as a 2.5 if not longer. A 3l having better designed heads which is basically the only downfall of the 2.5L.

The 3L is much more reliable, and of course when you go 3L block and heads you don't have the oil starvation problem of the 2.5 anymore. Plus, when you match the SVT Lower intake manifold to the 3L head, it looks stock but is much better.

To be fair you did say "most", but some people here (Buckshot, etc) have you completely blown out of the water.

That's why I did say 'most'.
However, if I do love my car this much eventually I may consider F/I it. That's another 6-7K into it. The total cost will need me to pay for luxuary tax.

So my statement is, modding the car is one's own decision. It may please the owner, but not for the added value to the car. If considering the residual value, the first mistake is to buy a domestic brand. And the best suggestion for modding choice is not to mod it.

That said, I still love my car very much and do not regret my decision. To its fairness, it did give me 8 years almost troubleless driving joy. I am looking another 8 years fun out of it.

you misunderstood me. i meant in the early days of the 3l swap, people were blowing their motors. i don't know the details of the swap...but i guess it would have been a hybrid. if it's a straight 3l swap, then great - but the workmanship still cannot be spoken for and i personally would be leary paying more for something i have no guarantee on.

Back