• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

zetec exhaust

bloodredguitar89

New CEG'er
ok i've done quite a bit to this car but want to do more, my first order of business is exhaust, i don't want my car to sound like a bumble bee though, i was thinking cougar manifold, magnaflow cat, no resonator a Y pipe and dual high flow mufflers in the back, any suggestions or comments?

ditch the dual mufflers and and go single. also, if you are going magnaflow, you may need to put two in series ( I had to but I also put a header on) :D The straight through exhaust does have a rasp (slight low rasp)

yea it does have rasp at the higher rpms, but i guess its not quite as bad as those hondas. mine gets pretty bad pushing 5500 RPM

Get a custom bent. I like mine a lot better than the SVT exhaust on a zetec. That's just me though.

Around a $150 budget for me. Not much to work with. But I'll get something done some time depending on if I have to save more or not.

Custom might not be in your budget then. Mine ran about 400$. You might enjoy an svt exhaust if you can find one in the classifieds.

You can get an SVT exhaust for under $150 parts + labor, definitely. I got an ABSOLUTE steal and got it done for a little over $100, but that included the purchase of a flex pipe off e-bay ;)

Complete custom exhaust = header + car sound cat + two magnaflow mufflers in series + 2.5" piping = about $600 after all was said and done. This included two stops to the exhaust shop and the addition of an O2 bung to the header so everything operates like stock.

ok i've done quite a bit to this car but want to do more, my first order of business is exhaust, i don't want my car to sound like a bumble bee though, i was thinking cougar manifold, magnaflow cat, no resonator a Y pipe and dual high flow mufflers in the back, any suggestions or comments?

if you are going for performance, and you get a cougar header, expect to need to put a huge resonator and muffler on it, and even then you might be asking for a lot of buzzing from the exhaust, We installed a header on DevanMC's car, he had to put 2 resonators and a muffler on his 2.25 inch Mandrel bent stainless exhaust setup before it started to sound good.

if you are going for performance, and you get a cougar header, expect to need to put a huge resonator and muffler on it, and even then you might be asking for a lot of buzzing from the exhaust, We installed a header on DevanMC's car, he had to put 2 resonators and a muffler on his 2.25 inch Mandrel bent stainless exhaust setup before it started to sound good.

Except I think he is talking about Cougar MANIFOLD, and not header...

Except I think he is talking about Cougar MANIFOLD, and not header...

Generally when you are talking about an exhaust setup, you mean the header (exhaust manifold). A cougar intake manifold would be pointless.

Back