• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

new way to remove chrome!

redlitesvt

CEG'er
Just thought I'd share a little info seeing how everyone likes to de-chrome trim rings/ headlights/ etc..... USE DRAINO its avaible everywhere and its safe for plastic and metal although you may have to polish metal afterwards.... and the best part is you dont have to go nuts trying to find away to get rid of it like the chemicals.... just strain the pain out of the draino and pour it down the drain since thats whats its used for? But for so of us it seems like we have hit that bottle on occasion!:laugh: All joking aside Draino works just soak and do as you please.

Thanks for the tip, I've been for a good way to do my trim ring, looks like I'll be trying that this week!

awesome! how long do you have to soak it for? also is it something you can soak inside or does it work better in the sun? any pictures?

Drano will take the paint off your house and give your family a permanent orange afro.

umm not sure what your talking about but the chrome on the ring doesn't just peal off, you have to either A. sand it off, or B. soak it in some sort of desolvent.

well i was able to peal it off with no problems. with a razor blade. you have find the edges of the chrome. maybe it was just my grill.:shrug:

I have yet to due my own trim ring I found this out by accident when I was in my hobbyshop working on my rc nitro trucks and the damn but lucky cat jumped on the top shelf knocking the drano off the shelf breaking the cap and it splattered on some of the plastic chrome wheels, so I started to wipe them down with a clean rag an noticed that the chrome was coming off. After that I started to play with drano:nonono: . let the ring soak in a contain big enough to hold it. there were no heavy fumes so it should be safe to leave in a garage or your basement. I'm taking all my chrome parts off this weekend and doing them all in one shot. Needless to say the cat got a super dinner the other nite!

I have yet to due my own trim ring I found this out by accident when I was in my hobbyshop working on my rc nitro trucks and the damn but lucky cat jumped on the top shelf knocking the drano off the shelf breaking the cap and it splattered on some of the plastic chrome wheels, so I started to wipe them down with a clean rag an noticed that the chrome was coming off. After that I started to play with drano:nonono: . let the ring soak in a contain big enough to hold it. there were no heavy fumes so it should be safe to leave in a garage or your basement. I'm taking all my chrome parts off this weekend and doing them all in one shot. Needless to say the cat got a super dinner the other nite!

nice. thanx for letting us know. the greatest discoveries were uncovered by accident anyway.:laugh:

I've been meaning to do my chrome ring but have been unable to find muriatic acid.

Lowe's, Home Depot and any pool supply store will have the acid.

Draino, :cool: I may have to try this on a ring or two and see how it goes. It would be easier than trying to dispose of the the acid.

Lowe's, Home Depot and any pool supply store will have the acid.

Draino, :cool: I may have to try this on a ring or two and see how it goes. It would be easier than trying to dispose of the the acid.

I agree. Plus its draino, people always need that stuff right :shrug:

Yeah, I made several separate attempts to peel mine. Around the third time, I figured out the concept and it ended up coming off decent.

Jullian, How did the grill come out? :cool: Sounds like Its time for another photoshoot.

BTW your MACCO parts look good, but I told you that already.

Yeah, I made several separate attempts to peel mine. Around the third time, I figured out the concept and it ended up coming off decent.

Jullian, How did the grill come out? :cool: Sounds like Its time for another photoshoot.

BTW your MACCO parts look good, but I told you that already.

the grill came out just ok. wasnt too impressed. its quite a bit brighter than the bumper, so it stands out a little. i decided to repaint the bumper and fenders so they all match. a photoshoot is definitely in order. soon as the mirko, side blinkers, and new headlights are on:cool:

Back