• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Cost to replace fuel pump?

tnv2010

Be Gentle I'm New Here
hi all,

I have a 2000 contour se v6 mtx.

If the fuel tank is a quarter full or less and I take a hard sweeping turn left and then right (like thru a rotary for instance) the car will buck and then stall. It won't start right away but if I wait about a minute it will start normally and drives ok. If I keep the tank half full or more this never happens

Fuel filter has already been replaced. So I suspect its the fuel pump.

Dealer has quoted almost $600 to replace fuel pump. Does this sound about right or should I shop around.

Thx in advance

Got my car and the pump died - yanked the rear seat and foudn the floor had already been snipped - just bent everything up and pulled the pump. Had a black sock on it - swapped in the updated smart FSVT pump and it is recently acting up again... Time to pull the pump and clean it again...

That disc filter produced a fat recall on Focus. Mine started acting up same problem as above @ 70K, yanked pump module and disc filter totally stopped up. Solvent based cleaners would not touch the gunk, then I tried water on it. Cleaned off instantly to like new condition. Reinstalled same pump w/filter back in, car now at 130K, runs fine. The trick is not to burn out the fuel pump while it's running dry, it's fuel cooled.

Back