• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Sluggish at first, then vrooom?

ub3rduck

CEG'er
I just recently purchased a 2000 SVT, 83k miles. I've noticed that when accelerating the car is pretty sluggish at first, then once it hits like 3.5krpm it just takes off. I know cars have a powerband, blah blah blah and all that. But is it normal for it to have such a big boost all of a sudden? Am I just experiencing the secondaries opening?

My last car (fiero gt) had more power towards the low end and not much up top, but the transition through the power band was a lot smoother and not quite the feeling I get with the CSVT.

My friend actually thought my car was turbocharged because of the sudden boost in power. :crazy:

its normally for an increase in performance at that rpm because the secondary runners open up. as noted if they are stuck open then your performance will be really poor below ~4k rpm.

are there any check engine lights? also check the condition of the cable and check to see if they are working correctly. The imrc linkage is viewable from under the tb between the heads. normally they point towards the firewall until they are commanded to open then the linkage will rotate forward to point towards the radiator.

You can see all of what BrApple is describing in the UIM/LIM rebuild how-to, located in the Duratec Maintenance forum, within the "read first" thread. Find the how-to and then find the pictures inside to illustrate where the linkage is.

Once you know where to LOOK, start the car, open the hood and find the rod itself. rev the car above 3750 by rotating the Throttle Body (again, you'll see it pointed out in the how-to) and watch that linkage. it should, as BrApple stated, rotate and point towards the radiator above 3750.

If the rod is ALWAYS pointing to the radiator then you have a stuck IMRC and your car is likely a DOG below 4K RPM.

Checked it out and it looks like it's working properly. It points towards the firewall at idle and you can feel them open when you drive. Thanks!

Look under the hood and find where the linkage is from pictures that are around here. Rev the engine and make sure you SEE movement when you hit 3.5k RPM. I had my IMRC stuck open (p1518 i believe) and even though it wasn't working properly it slightly felt like it was opening up at 3.5k but just remained open. With it stuck open I experienced intermittent idle problems (dip to <500 and try to stall) and sluggish acceleration below 3.5k. But then again if there is no CEL......

Back