• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

A/c and heat only blows on the windshield

B

briggs248

Well when i picked up the car the hvac control unit was bad.. the knob to turn the air on wouldnt even move so i replaced it. However now the air will come on but will only blow on the windshield:shrug:

agreed.

The vacuum lines are behind the radio console area and plug in to the HVAC controls. (There are multiple lines for each function) After the HVAC, they are combined in to one source line where they all get their vacuum source from, and that line runs through the firewall to the cluster of vacuum lines at the UIM (upper intake manifold). Either you've lost the connection at the engine-bay side, or the line popped off at the HVAC controls behind the radio (or, worst case, the line broke)

Additionally, the Contour is susceptible to having the panel-defrost door lever separate from the arm of the vacuum motor.

The motor is directly above the gas pedal.

Steve

thanks for all the responses. I have checked the controller behind the radio and i have two solid connections, and i have also checked the controller underneath the driver side panel and again i have two good connections. I noticed there are two black vacuum lines, one goes to the loom of colorful vacuum lines that meet up behind the radio. The other black one seems like it runs toward the engine bay. When i had the car on i pulled that one off and i didnt hear any hissing or feel any sucking from it. I think this maybe the problem..... the only thing is in the engine bay everything looks good. Does that one black line make another connection before going into the engine bay?

Locate the vacuum line where it comes off the manifold connectors and follow it as far as possible.

Make certain it is nneither damaged or clogged.

Personally, I'd pick up a Mighty-Vac, it would make your like a lot easier in diagnosing the problem.

Back