• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Painting E1s...black/gunmetal

FauxhawkFox

Hard-core CEG'er
I was thinking about going through the process of painting the rims. I noticed bagged did his on the turbo car he has. Just double checking my process with everyone
-sand what grit?
-primer
-couple coats
-clear?

I think they look better painted. I hightowered my headlights black and I have gunmetal rims right now. The tires on the rims are done and the E1s have new rubber on them.

Summary: process of painting rims correct? what color?

My friend did this to his WRX rims and sent me this link:
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=655832&page=4

post 88 and 89 is something I would love to try. It looks pretty good on the WRX. Comments?

I paint wheels regularly. When done right, any color can look good. Even purple. You don't need to go overboard with the sanding. Just as long as you get a decent scuff on the surface to be painted. You'll need at least one can(11oz.) of primer and clearcoat. Two cans of paint(11oz.) will be needed. I prefer duplicolor. Plastikite isn't as good on my opinion.

To get an even red lip would be difficult. Besides. It's kinda ricey. You would need flexible tape to pull it off.

I was thinking stucco tape but I guess it is rather ricey. I think Ill just go with the black, maybe gunmetal after seeing how Reebs gunmetal rims looked. I just want to make sure I get the paint right the first time, paint chipping would drive me :crazy:

Decided to go flat black. I like it. Sanding was pretty extreme. If anyone wants info on what I did PM me.

100_0077.jpg

Spinning
http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/...ntour stuff/?action=view&current=100_0074.flv

I think this looks pretty good, with out the headlights being done i dont know how much i would like this, but looks great the headlights set it off!

Back