• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

No K&N filter = This

Saying the K&N doesn't filter all that well is a previously debated point, and is subject to personal taste and opinions. But putting a bag over a filter seems silly. Either get a different brand filter, use a sealed intake box, or get over it. But to each his own. K&N obviously makes those covers for a reason, so what do I know?

Its not a cheap filter that rusts out the inside of the CAI.. usualy its a cheap CAI... either tin or some other mix of metal... the filter doesnt help cause it lets past a LOT of water where the K&Ns oil does help keep the dust and water back... but either way even witha K&N filter using a cheap CAI it will still rust over time. Condensation is always a factor... if you do a custom build with steel piping , like exhaust shop set up. thats ok just powder coat the whole thing. pretty cheap to do and gives a great look and adds to the heat resistance of it all....
my 2cents...

There is absolutely nothing wrong with a filter wrap. It doesn't restrict air flow and keep out the large particles from sticking to the filter. Heck right after I cleaned and oiled my K&N I had a bunch of crap on it right away! :mad: A filter wrap would have prevented this.

Yeah it's the same one. It was Custom Cougarz CAI. Never knew it was the only one that was polished steel. wtf were they thinking.. steel. :help:

I have a CC cai, and it's ALUMINUM. Not steel. Mine is white on the inside, and it is perfectly clean. I've been using it on my DD for about 4 years now.

I have always used a K&N filter since day one.

Saying the K&N doesn't filter all that well is a previously debated point, and is subject to personal taste and opinions.

Its not a taste of an opinion, its a fact based on used oil analysis data. Switch to an oiled cotton filter like the K&N and your silicon numbers jump meaning that more dirt is getting into the oil. Thats assuming the filter oil isnt also getting into the oil or causing the known MAF problems.

Its not a taste of an opinion,

That statement makes my brain hurt. But it is a matter of personal taste and opinion. Does one want higher airflow with the possibility of less stringent filtration? Or does one want the highest possible level of filtration with less airflow? ...Personal taste and opinion.

That statement makes my brain hurt. But it is a matter of personal taste and opinion. Does one want higher airflow with the possibility of less stringent filtration? Or does one want the highest possible level of filtration with less airflow? ...Personal taste and opinion.

Yikes it makes my brain hurt too and I wrote it. The issue now is that you dont have to sacrifice filtration for airflow with the new synthetic dry media filters. No more oiling kits, no more high silicon levels and no more risking MAF damage. If you like the look of the K&N I guess you could always just say you forgot to oil it.

I have a CC cai, and it's ALUMINUM.

Read, Andy. I was sold a one-off polished STEEL CAI, which I never knew or looked into afterward. Paid the price that's for sure. The SE's been sitting in the street awaiting replacement parts.

Yikes it makes my brain hurt too and I wrote it. The issue now is that you dont have to sacrifice filtration for airflow with the new synthetic dry media filters. No more oiling kits, no more high silicon levels and no more risking MAF damage. If you like the look of the K&N I guess you could always just say you forgot to oil it.

To be honest I know nothing about synthetic dry media filters, but it sounds worth looking into.

To be honest I know nothing about synthetic dry media filters, but it sounds worth looking into.

They are relatively new but both AEM and AFE are making them in more and more applications now. Its a nice alternative to an oiled filter since you dont need a cleaning kit or an oiling kit so it can be cheaper as well. My AFE was a badly listed eBay Mustang filter so I was especially happy about it.

Pre98:
if you get a chance, can you refresh the picture(s) of the gunked-up intake? I don't know if they've expired or I just can't see them...
thanks,

you know you could have sent him a pm instead of bumping a 2 year old thread ....

The CAI intake that was once on my car was a one-off or something but the seller never told me that iirc. In any case the insides began to rust horribly. Any CAI currently available will not have the problem I started this thread about.

Back