• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

No K&N filter = This

Pre98

Hard-core CEG'er
This is a session of self-ownage in light of making sure newcomers do not make this mistake. I've been using cheap filters on the SE since I put the CAI on several years ago. I never got around to searching for the right size K&N filter, and just stuck with what kept the car running.

I've inspected the filters, but never the pipes. Needless to say this is the end result of using a cheap filter/CAI combo on a daily driver:

noKN.jpg

In lieu of using a cheap filter, it is my personal opinion the intake could very well have become the same way while using a K&N. Water still ends up resting on the filter no matter what kind you have. Would the K&N filter the water better? Perhaps. I used to defend the CAI and should have stopped being stubborn about it when GoonzSVT finally removed his.

Am I going to risk it on my car any longer? Absolutely not.. and am probably ditching the entire CAI as soon as I hear back from nautilus about their CAI (the pictured one was NOT their CAI kit).

I am probably settling on an SRI instead and filling the CAI hole with a rubber grommet. As far as the cheap filter goes - It crushed in like paper when I removed it! :nonono: Granted I left this one on a bit longer than I should have.

In the mean time I will be ripping the engine apart and cleaning the intake system thoroughly as God knows what has made it into my engine now. I made this thread to sway others who may decide to go the cheap route, or for some who simply forgot to upgrade theirs over time. Cheap is not the answer, and don't settle for it! Pictures prove the damage!

No matter the choice always stick with K&N.

I'm not trying to deter anyone from buying CAI kits, but that this could possibly be the result several years down the road.

bill,did you get that cai from me? if you did its not nesc. the filters fault,that was the only cc cai i've ever seen made out of chromed steal rather than alum.

Yeah it's the same one. It was Custom Cougarz CAI. Never knew it was the only one that was polished steel. wtf were they thinking.. steel. :help:

Everyone using an open filter should have a wrap. It blocks most of the dirt that the filter sees so they stay cleaner much longer. Thats not to say the filter oil couldnt still be a problem but there would be less of it since you're cleaning and re-oiling the filter less often.

An air filter, for the air filter?

My thoughts exactly. If you're worried about your air filter getting dirty, then maybe you shouldn't run an open filter. Or don't drive your car...ever.:troutslap: I've cleaned my intake more than a few times, and never have I found any evidence of oil from my K&N on my aluminum BAT intake pipe.

My thoughts exactly. If you're worried about your air filter getting dirty, then maybe you shouldn't run an open filter. Or don't drive your car...ever.

You're missing the point. The K&N doesnt filter all that great and the wraps help it out a lot without any measurable restriction on flow while keeping it cleaner longer.

Back