• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

I need new rotors. WOuld this be a good time to upgrade my brakes?

96RedSE5Sp

Hard-core CEG'er
I know Ford rotors suck. Are Bendix still regarded as the best? Would this be a good time for a complete upgrade to Focus or CSVT brakes? What would I need to do to upgrade to 278 mm rotors?

As far as my driving habits - my car is basically a family car; I try not to drive too aggressively; and never go more than 75.

I'm looking for a good combination of durability, safety, good stopping distances and a good price. Noting too fancy or too high maintenance.

I've done a lot of searches for Warmonger's brake kit, but from what i can tell, it wouldn't work with my 15" winter rims. Plus it's hard for me to figure out what the advantages and disadvantages are.

Last edited:
not necessarily. unless its something u've been thinking about doing. since ur car's stock, theres nothing wrong with bendix. my old pads n rotors are made by POS i think. worked fine. As for upgrading ur rotors, if u're planning on keepin ur stock 15" rims, then stay stock. 75mph!!!?... stock rotors and pads for sure.

If you need new rotors anyways i think this would be a good time to upgrade to the larger CSVT front rotor. Provided of course that you can find a set of the necessary brackets to work with the larger rotors.

I got a set of good condition CSVT rotors, calipers and brackets at the local Pick and Pull for $45. so for me it was a no - brainer. Lots of info about this type of conversion in the brake section .

FWIW my advice is to get the CSVT rotors from someone like Team Ford and try to find the brackets at a wrecker.

I honestly would just buy quality rotors and pads instead of looking to upgrade. Quality parts along with bleeding the brakes will make a world of difference. Get some Brembo blanks and some Axxis Metal Master pads if you can find them. They make a great bang for the buck brake setup.

no Way ..Got a good old Advance Auto Discount from a friend $20.00 per rotor
With Lifetime Warranty!

Converting to the CSVT front brakes is easy. You can use your existing calipers so all you need is a set of caliper brackets from a late 98 or newer SVT or from a 99 or newer Cougar with the big rotors up front (most, but not all, Cougars with a V6). You need rotors anyway. I have had good luck with ebay rotors. This is a very good upgrade and well worth doing. The factory 15" wheels will fit over the CSVT front brakes.

Going to the Warmonger kit is not nearly as cost effective. You will need four new rotors as well as the full Warmonger kit. You will also need 16" or larger wheels. But the results is more than worth it. My seat of the pants feeling (similar to others that have made the conversion) is that the improvement over stock CSVT braking is at least a 20% improvement. The overall handling improvement is beyond description.

I have the same wheel as you (ST200), I upgraded my front brakes using Warmonger's brake kit, once I was able to remove the old Ford rotor, everythig went together nicely. I'm planning to redo the rears but haven't had the time to mess with them.

My braking performance has improved and the "look" is outstanding.

9-26-07ContourFrontBrakes018.jpg

The calipers are rattle can painted stock, FSVT rotors

HIH, Pat

Provided of course that you can find a set of the necessary brackets to work with the larger rotors.

The SVT Focus brackets work perfectly. All you need to bolt up the full Focus setup are 4 3mm spacers to move the caliper/bracket out. All bolts up.

I have the same wheel as you (ST200), I upgraded my front brakes using Warmonger's brake kit, once I was able to remove the old Ford rotor, everythig went together nicely. I'm planning to redo the rears but haven't had the time to mess with them.

My braking performance has improved and the "look" is outstanding.

9-26-07ContourFrontBrakes018.jpg

The calipers are rattle can painted stock, FSVT rotors

HIH, Pat

Nice. Where in Albany are you from?

Yes but those are usually the cheapest blank rotors they could find and then the drilling and slotting are done cheaply. Thats just asking for a crack the first time you get them hot.

Yes but those are usually the cheapest blank rotors they could find and then the drilling and slotting are done cheaply. Thats just asking for a crack the first time you get them hot.

Could be true... never bought them so i dunno... has anyone got these before and can shed light???

I have made several ebay rotor purchases, including the ones I have on my car now. They have given me no trouble. The machine work for the drilling and slotting looks first class. The blanks I have on the Escape are much better than the factory rotors.

has anyone got these before and can shed light???

I've installed them for friends and had problems down the road, but I myself have only bid on Brembo blanks on eBay since I know they are beefy and wont warp or crack later on. I'm just not a fan of "drilled" rotors because they are weaker and you lose rotor surface.

Back