• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

car trouble

blakewolfSVT

New CEG'er
today i was driving at a high, most likely illegal rate of speed and i got off the highway then my svt went dead (no power) stoped for about 5 min. and it cranked back up after a couple tries. I got it to my house and now it will turn over like it wants to start but wont....:( aanyone have any suggestions? no check engines lights on or anything car has less then 20k miles.....

Last edited by a moderator:
got gas? dumb question i know, but i've done that a few times lol
maybe that's what you get for doin illegal speeds on a public highway

Last edited by a moderator:
car touble

car touble

the car lost all electrical power. i changed out the fuel filter and it will crank about 1 out of every ten times.. I can hear the fuel pumps hum. i will crank the car and when it cranks it will die after about 1 or 2 minuetes . I had just put in Gas (shell v-power). no wierd noises before the car died.

car trouble

went outside after car had sat for about an hour and it cranked right up then lost idle and went dead within a min.

sorry

sorry

was in a hurry because my wife was having problems at home. its not ok to drive that fast..

car trouble

driving home today when i got off the highway my car lost idle and went dead it took a couple of times then finally cranked back up. i got it home and the fuel pump in huming and i changed out the fuel filter. IF i let it sit for about an hour it will crank on its 1st try and then go dead anywhere from 1 to 5 minuets. i had just put gas in my tank before this i dont know if that has anything to do with it (shell v-power) . i would appreciate some help thanks.

car trouble

can only has 13 k miles on it .. and has no check engine lights on or anything.. never has any problems before.

Have you checked all the fuses, both inside car and inside engine bay? Do you smell gas when you crank it? Do you have a way to test the fuel pressure?

car trouble

have not chhecked fuses which ones should i check??? and noway of checking fuel pressure....

Since it happened right after new gas, could well be water in the gas. Put in at least one can of isopropyl-based dri-gas.

Mike

Sounds like it could be injector problems. I had a car that did about the same thing once, and the way the injection was set up, when 1 injector got clooged or went bad, the whole fuel injection system shut down. I just omhed out the injectors and sure enough, there was 1 bad one, replaced it, and it ran like new. With the car being 10 years old, and only having 15k on it, im sure some gas has sat in that tank for a long time, maybe time for a fuel sytsem rebuild. Just my opinion, good luck!

car trouble

before work today i cranked the car and it cranked on the 1st try. i let run not touching the gas it went dead after about 6 min.s just lost idle and went died? where can i get that dri gas?

Sorry to here about your car having problems! I was the one talking to you about buying it for while through email. Hopefully mine with only 3K miles doesnt start anything like this. Sounds like bad gas to me though.......

Also. PLEASE post some pic's dude, I want to see the fresh paint!!!

Dry gas or its equivalent is at any auto supply store ($1 or $2) many different brand names, look for one that has "isopropyl" in it, but anything will probably do.. Most gas stations have something like that also but they are more expensive. Ask for something specifically made to eliminate water from gasoline.

Worth a try especially since it happened right after you got a new tank of gas.

Mike

Fixed!!!

Fixed!!!

Just to let everyone know i fixed my car and it is running perfect and acting like a 13k SVT. IT was the crank position sensor . Thanks for all the help EVERYONE!!!!

Back