• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Did my headlights today

95Mike

CEG'er
Hey, I woke up this morning with nothing better to do than bake my headlights. The process went pretty good. I've researched the Hightower mod on t-red cars and it seems that not many people think they look good on red. "black eyes" and "Zorro" comments were found among the few praises. Well, I decided to try something a little more subtle than black. How about medium-dark silver? I think the name is "smoke gray." I used 6 coats of silver and 6 coats of clear.

The RTV is curing right now and I'll throw them on the car tommorow morning, but I do have pics of the painted trim. I kept the turn signal area mostly chrome to match the low and high beam areas.

Here you go!
Image024.jpg

Image025.jpg

Hopefully these will look good on the car.

I can't wait to see what those will look like on a t-red! I've been looking into what looks the best on t-red.

Yeah, I need to deal with the lenses as they are pretty clouded from pitting. The insides are perfect so I went ahead and put them on. Also, I'm going to need to paint my oval ring. I think that has a pretty big impact on how the hightowered lights look on t-red.

Yeah, I need to deal with the lenses as they are pretty clouded from pitting. The insides are perfect so I went ahead and put them on. Also, I'm going to need to paint my oval ring. I think that has a pretty big impact on how the hightowered lights look on t-red.

Yeah, it'd look a bit goofy having the chrome grille ring with the hightowers :crazy:. Make sure to update us when it is completed, as I agree with the fact that there are currently no good liking hightowers for T-Red.

Put them in. I think I like them, but I need to clear the lenses up and do the ring. Sorry about the cell phone pics, but my wife has temporarily "misplaced" our camera.
Image026.jpg

Image027.jpg

Image028.jpg

I think once the ring is painted body color they will look really good.

I can't wait to see what those will look like on a t-red! I've been looking into what looks the best on t-red.

n30315915_33340492_3217.jpg

n30315915_33394239_2723.jpg

:shrug:

Edit: Sorry Mike, but I gotta say, its the wrong color for the hightower, and I dont see why you left the reflector for the turn signal unpainted, takes away from the effect, take for example my red hightowers, I have clear bulbs in there, so when I turn my turn signal on at night, it blinks red :D

and in the picture the headlight looks funky because I messed up the wet sanding, I have fixed it since then and now they look nearly factory, just needed to spend more time doing 2000 grit basically, and use a better polish.

Last edited:
n30315915_33340492_3217.jpg

n30315915_33394239_2723.jpg

:shrug:

Edit: Sorry Mike, but I gotta say, its the wrong color for the hightower, and I dont see why you left the reflector for the turn signal unpainted, takes away from the effect, take for example my red hightowers, I have clear bulbs in there, so when I turn my turn signal on at night, it blinks red :D

and in the picture the headlight looks funky because I messed up the wet sanding, I have fixed it since then and now they look nearly factory, just needed to spend more time doing 2000 grit basically, and use a better polish.

This is the best color to do the lights, I have seen this car in another post but no luck finding it again! This is what I wanna do now. Arevthe painted the stock color? Maybe pm me to keep this outta the trend.

I do like the way it turned out but I think it may have looked better painting it all, post when you get the ring painted! Car does look nice, looks just like mine!

Does look clean but i'm not into the chrome grill or headlights on our cars, I liked my 99' it had a painted grill.

No need to appologize, everyone has their own opinion. I like it more and more everytime I see it. It is very subtle in person. I just haven't like the t-red or black painted ones in pics (Maybe they look better in person) so I thought I'd try something new. I do like my decision to tape off the inner turn signal area. I think they look more "stock" following suit of the low and high beam areas.

If anything, people have another pic to compare to on the forums. I'll try to get a better (high def) pic soon.

Mike

You did a great job with the lights, I love the color I'm not to in to leaveing the lights chrome but if you like it that's all that matter! I do love the t-red!

Back