• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

weird noise from pass. side of eng

bscontour

Be Gentle I'm New Here
I have a weird noise comimg from pass. side of eng. It sounds like a rod. I've had this noise for 4 years now!

If it's been there for four years I seriously doubt it is a rod bearing. If it's a v6 it could be the timing chains are loose due to worn guides or tensioners.

need more info though for sure.

I have a 96 contour with zetec 16v 2.0 eng. Has 162,000 miles

Last edited:
Guarantee it is the Zetec tick. Is it worse when it's cold outside/on startup before the car gets warm? If so, don't really worry about it, it is normal.

For fours years? Man, I'd hate to see what that timing belt looks like NOW :shocked: :laugh:

Timing belt gets changed every 70,000 miles. cover not it either does it w/o cover! Oil changes every 4000 miles .its not a rod just sounds like it. Only things replaced has been the struts, a arms, ball joints, battery, alt. just reg. wear n tear Eng & trans are still strong

Intake gasket? Are you serious? That would cause major driveability problems. My mom just went through this with her car. If it hasn't affected the car in 4 years, and is louder on cold starts and dies off when it gets warm, it is the Zetec tick and unless you feel like rebuilding the engine it won't go away, but it won't harm anything either.

pre98 zetecs had extremely noisey hydraulic lifters that almost made the motor (especially when cold) sound like a diesel motor (or like a mechanical knocking sound that was directly related to the RPMs of the motor) now if you said you have a knocking or rattleing noise coming from the passenger side of the motor, you probably have a loose bearing of some sort on your accessory drive system.

Take a video/sound clip

Idler wheels and tensioners for timing belt can be noisy. My neighbor had that problem and new ones fixed it. I can't remember if it knocked though.

Back