• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Got P0741, now what?

yapper

New CEG'er
So I have about 30K on my rebuilt ATX (Nov 2005) and the dreaded P0741 rears its ugly head this monthe. BTW I read the code with Alex Pepper's OBD-2 scan tool. It was kinda tricky though, you have to select the codes tab first and then choose Enhanced from the menu bar. Clicking the Enhanced menu bar item with another tab selected won't let you read the code.

Either way there it was P0741 TCCSCPSO Torque Converter Clutch Solenoid Circuit Performance or Stuck Off. The first time I saw the OD flashing I drove it home and turned off the ignition before the scanning it and of course the light stopped flashing when I restarted it 5 seconds later. This time I scanned first. After I turned off the ignition I scanned again and got P1000 ND Not Defined. Either way I'm gonna flush do the 2x flush this weekend and hope for the best. I flushed it 6K miles ago during my routine maintenance and it ran great no flashing lights, just ran great. I'm thinking about doing a power flush this time to get all the burnt fluid out. Good idea?

I think I know what I did to break it. The light came on right after I had an episode of "spirted driving" when I was "motivated" by a Dodge Charger to merge onto the freeway alot faster than I normally would. This on ramp has you go up a slight hill when merging onto the freeway. Anyways when got to the ramp, the Charger behind me tried to go around, so I punched it and said goodbye. The RPMs were up in the 4Ks for couple of seconds and it looks like that might have been to much for the rebuilt tranny. Now I might have to say goodbye to my car.

Yesterday the light started flashing on my drive back home and there was lot of headwind. Between the first time and yesterday was about 10 days. Heck I even thought I got lucky and the first time was fluke. I drive about 60 round trip each day so after 300+ miles I thought I had it made.

If I can go a month without the flashing OD after the flush then I'll consider it resolved. We'll see. Of course the engine is trouble free, no CELs or other nonsense. Just this glass ATX being a pain. Well I always knew the Contour's ATX was the weak link. I'm trying to motivate myself and put in a new torque converter, if the flush doesn't work but so far I'm not feeling it.

Back