• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Venting about suspension choice...

Bolt99SVT

CEG'er
Just wanted to do what the title says...:mad:
I'm not really happy about the turn-out of my suspension choice. I chose to replace my rear struts and springs with brand new SVT items.

It looks like it jacked my car's rear end up! I knew my stock rear springs were shot, but I didn't realize my struts were too. I liked the look of the ride height I had, but it rode kinda rough so I knew it was time to replace 'em.

I just wish I knew how bad it was before I bought the SVT struts and springs. Now I'm really wishing I went with the BAT kit.

My stock struts wouldn't even rise back up at all, after pushing down the rod....They were really bad, but I just miss the appearance of my ride height...:nonono: I didn't think it would be that big of a difference.

Now I'm still in search of a good used BAT kit (which I know will be hard to come by on here), or try to live with what I got.
Thanks for your time and suggestions.

Frank

The wheel gap is closer. Never measured. Had ppl ask me if my 96 was lowered when I had it stock.

Just wanted to do what the title says...:mad:
I'm not really happy about the turn-out of my suspension choice. I chose to replace my rear struts and springs with brand new SVT items.

It looks like it jacked my car's rear end up! I knew my stock rear springs were shot, but I didn't realize my struts were too. I liked the look of the ride height I had, but it rode kinda rough so I knew it was time to replace 'em.

I just wish I knew how bad it was before I bought the SVT struts and springs. Now I'm really wishing I went with the BAT kit.

My stock struts wouldn't even rise back up at all, after pushing down the rod....They were really bad, but I just miss the appearance of my ride height...:nonono: I didn't think it would be that big of a difference.

Now I'm still in search of a good used BAT kit (which I know will be hard to come by on here), or try to live with what I got.
Thanks for your time and suggestions.

Frank

Sorry to hear your upset about the outcome. I had something similair done to me. I installed an eibach kit and then reliazed that the rear springs were sagging the rear end of the car so much all it did was rub my 18's all the time. Had to get rid of them right away. Eventually bought H+r's.

Nice springs but i regret spending so much money just to get what i originally wanted.

Give the springs some time to settle before you pass judgment to quickly.​

Well it's been about a week now since I got the new rear SVT struts and springs put in. And you were right Loki. It looks like it settled enough now to be even with the front.
So now I feel alittle better. I was just so use to seeing the "lowered" look, that it looked like a huge difference with the new. I just didn't think it was gonna settle more, but I guess I was just too impatient.

Thanks to everyone else that posted comments too. :cool:

Frank

Last edited:
:laugh: Nah I didn't realize that...I guess I should've got some 33" tires to go with it... ;)

They might fit.
3086451_3_full.jpg

Hey, hey! easy now. I would love to lower it but it would be silly for me to do so on a DD. Trust me I'm not a big fan of the wheel gappage I have:nonono:

The brand new stock struts always look jacked up. I bought my car with a set of brand new Monroe sturts on it and MAN did it look like a 4X4. Super jacked up. Koni Sport Kit solved my problems very nicely :D

Sorry to hear your upset about the outcome. I had something similair done to me. I installed an eibach kit and then reliazed that the rear springs were sagging the rear end of the car so much all it did was rub my 18's all the time. Had to get rid of them right away. Eventually bought H+r's.

Nice springs but i regret spending so much money just to get what i originally wanted.

I had full ground controll coilovers but the ride was a bit ridiculous, then i replaced the rear suspension to stock struts and b&g springs (i know this is not recommended). The ride was much improved and the car looked great. Now my car sags in the rear pretty bad if any weight is added to the car at all. It is also causing a rubbing issue on my 18's. Just putting in my two cents. also curious if anyone else had this problem with b&g springs.

Thanks again for everyones comments. I'm getting use to the look of my ride height now. It's just different than I'm use to seeing, but it does ride better.

Frank

Back