• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

O/D light flashing

andy

New CEG'er
I've spent the past 2 weeks searching and reading about my problem. I have not seen my problem mentioned. I have no symptoms other than O/D light flashing. There is no bucking, speedometer is not erratic, no hard shifting (except after O/D flashing), no slipping out of any gear, no problems shifting between gears, drained/refilled ATX fluid 3 times over few days, I have tried to pull CEL code using my Harbor Freight CAN/OBDII scanner but came up empty of ATX codes. Doesn't seem to match symptoms of the several sensors that seem to commonly go bad.Only emissions related codes that's been there for a few years contstantly.

May be a coincidence, but I washed the engine bay before this problem started. Don't remember if it's immediately after or several days. No power spray, just Simple Green and the "mist" setting on the sprayer. What is the grounding bolt on the transaxle someone mentioned that can cause electrical problems? While I was draining the ATX fluid I did notice a bolt with a wire on the passenger side of the tranny but the clip for the bolt was broken.

Any ideas?

Stop pushing the button :D

I dunno this is what my trans did before i took a crap, stupid ATX :mad:

my car used to flash od all the time then i changed the sensor on the transmission i forget what its called the tss or something and it only flashed the od when it rained hard from that day on. lol

May be a coincidence, but I washed the engine bay before this problem started. Don't remember if it's immediately after or several days. No power spray, just Simple Green and the "mist" setting on the sprayer. What is the grounding bolt on the transaxle someone mentioned that can cause electrical problems? While I was draining the ATX fluid I did notice a bolt with a wire on the passenger side of the tranny but the clip for the bolt was broken.

Any ideas?
Water on the tranny can cause issues with the tranny. But I would suspect the "bolt with a wire on the passenger side of the tranny but the clip for the bolt was broken". If this is the VSS wiring, it could cause the "O/D off" to flash.

I suspect you need a better scan tool. Check your documentation for it (if you can read Chinese) and see if it includes support for "manufacturer-specific" codes (codes from P1001-P1999). It probably doesn't.

That means it can't find the most probably fault code which I'd suspec to be a P1744.

Use the Advanced SEARCH tool with that code and my username for in-depth background.

Yours is a relatively common failure for the CD4E.

Steve

If it was a VSS problem, there would be major problems because it is an ATX. If it were me I'd check out that bolt and see if I could fix it and see if anything changes and work from there :shrug:

Not a wire

Not a wire

I checked the bolt with the broken bracket. My bad, it's a metal hose with a broken bracket, not an electrical wire. So there goes that theory. I was reading the service manual and thought maybe the TPS could be causing a fault. If the light comes on today after work I'll bring it to Autozone. Maybe their reader is better than mine and can read manufacturer specific codes. Hopefully it's not a P1744.

Scanners

Scanners

You will need a pretty expensive (> $20)scanner to get trans codes. I was not able to get trans codes from schucks reader. You might check the TSS sensor (in the drivers side wheel well) attached to the trans oil pump. Easy to locate as it is the only thing with an electrical connection in the vicinity. Check to make certain the wire is fully plugged in and maybe zip tie it into place, often the clip is broken. While you are at it, see if it is the old style TSS that uses a metal clip and bolt to hold it into place. If so you might want to try replacing it. They do have a habit of failing intermitantly and are not that hard or expensive to replace. The TSS failure will cause the OD light to flash and put the trans into fail safe mode.

Stopped by Autozone and their scan tool is as simplistic as mine, so nothing useful other than P0401 and P0420 emission codes. I thought most trans codes get erased once engine is turned off unless it's a code that makes the CEL stay on?

Back