• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

im starting to wonder... (random thought for the day)

AliasJerk

Addicted CEG'er
if Ford made changes between the 98 and 99 model year SVTs just to make the cars more "exclusive" to their owners.

Anybody know if I am right or wrong, someone know the actual reason why they spent so much time and money on whether they were going to discontinue the dash clock (etc etc...)? :shrug:

if Ford made changes between the 98 and 99 model year SVTs just to make the cars more "exclusive" to their owners.

Ford wouldnt let SVT do something like that. Its most likely because they were still using up parts from other runs and thats why some cars have little things others dont.

ford does this to all car's that have reached the end of the run:shrug: for example,the 96-99 taurus...by the end of the run in 99 it had no tweeters in the apillar,rubber shift knob,cheaper stiching on the leather seats,no heated mirrors,no glove box light...etc etc. but they did continue to change things, 3.98 gearing for better acceleration in the duratec,se's came w/the sho rims,five seater got a new center console w/intergrated cupholders.....only ford knows for sure i guess.

Naw they just decided, what the hey lets shaft a few people just to piss them off :)

pgt-gt hit it right on the spot. They did it with the ford ranger also before they converted the dash over in 1996 the 93-95 had the 91-92 dash. etc etc.

To the OP, your initial statement is absolutely stupid. First off when the original owner first bought the car in 98 or 99 they most likely would not have Been in many Contour SVTs. Therefore they would not know what if anything had been changed or deleted. Second of all for Ford to take the time and money to purposefully change items just for the sole purpose of making cars more exclusive would not be profitable. That is what the ultimate goal is even for the SVT division, which was also part of their demise(not profitable). I'm sure there is a lot more reasons why that was just another dumb thought, but I don't want to waste any more of my time.

Last edited:
Adding an apostrophe doesn't make a word plural.

captobvious.mbe.gif

These cars aren't selling as great as we thought they would be. Johnson, starting finding ways to make these cars cheaper to produce!

Well Sir, if we elliminate the clock from the dash, used cheaper plastics for the dash, etc we can save X amount of dollars.

Back