• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Koni Removal - No sure why it isn't working.

SHOgoFast

Hard-core CEG'er
I am trying to remove my Koni's (which I have done twice before). But this time around the nut on the top of the tower will not budge. I just spin the shaft of the strut.

In the past I was able to simply wrench it off. That being said, I was able to remove one of the two withou issue, but the passenger side is stuck.

Anyone have suggestions or methods that I may not have tried / thought of?

If I try to put a wrench on the 18mm bolt I run out of room to use another, wrench or socket above it.

I may have to get ahold of a strong impact wrench and hope that the abrupt force that it applies will snap it loose?

Thanks,

To hold it you can use an open end on the 18mm then a 6 or 7mm up top near the adjuster. Just to warn you. I striped the top on one because I couldn't get them apart. Had to cut the top off to get the spring out and buy a new Koni. Was cheaper than a rebuild. Make sure the small open end is very secure. Use a 6 point!!

This happened to me this weekend when I was doing a suspension swap and what i did that worked was got out an air ratchet and got it off with that in one try... try it , it should work for you

isn't there a key in the top of the threaded piece for you to stick an allen key or something in? i had these on the ST200's when i put them in, but not sure about the koni's.

I am going to try the air tools next. The konis have a small tab on the top that is used to adjust the stiffness of the strut. So, no allen key to hold them.

Thanks for the input guys. I will make another run at it tonight.

PB Blaster is a godsend. It makes everything that has to do with installing and uninstalling anything easy, especially suspension! Make sure to soak everything dilebretly an hour or so before you are working on the bolts, it works like a gem!

Another 'funny' part is that EVERY other bolt has already come off, all the rusty-@ss'd bits are all off. This nice clean bolt up top, no dice!!!

Isn't there an allen key in the top to hold the strut while loosening the nut? Dont go TO crazy with the air gun here, strut shafts can get damaged.

Don't havge Koni's, but you could try a bit of heat from a propane torch to help loosen up the nut, since it isn't cloase to the tube, it should be ok to try.

Back