• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

66' Mustang Finally has a new coat

CSVT985

CEG'er
Well right before it got cold here in Texas, we put a nice new coat on my 1966 Mustang Restomod. I have included a few pictures of what it has had done to it over the past 1 1/2yrs I have owned it. If yall want to see the entire thing go to www.texasstang.com and go to the galleries page.

It still needs major buffing as the 2nd layer of clearcoat dulled some areas...still trying to figure out how to spray clearcoat without it getting overspray on other nice areas...

Best part is this was a $1500 - $2000 3 stage paintjob but I only had to pay $430 for the paint. Not bad.

Yes...it sits high in the front because my .40 over 302 is in the garage with the 5 speed attached to it. My dad and I are redoing the front suspension considering its 40 years old and I want to live to see 23.
mustang2.jpg

mustang11.jpg

mustang55.JPG

mustang102.JPG

1001208mediumzs7.jpg

1001210mediumar3.jpg

1001211mediummt5.jpg

1001216mediumry0.jpg

1001220mediumvt6.jpg

1001221mediumtb6.jpg

Last edited:
very nice work ... my father has started seriously thinking about getting his 66 fastback back onto the road after he had it repainted in 81, although it needs to be painted again a the paint failed but I have to see what he puts back in it, the original 289 or the 69 Boss 302 engine he has swapped in it way back in high school ...

since all the pictures are at the same location I am going to guess they did it themselves adn that was the cost of the paint ?

That is correct it was painted in my Dad's garage after making a temp. paint booth
My dad has helped restore 2 other Mustangs and 1 1952 MG.

So if you have an air compressor and a top mounted paint gun ( a really nice one) you can do it too, it just is a very long drawn out process to primer/bondo/sand rinse, repeat. It took me over a year to get it into paintable condition.

...and boy did my hands hurt from all the sanding.

That is correct it was painted in my Dad's garage after making a temp. paint booth
My dad has helped restore 2 other Mustangs and 1 1952 MG.

So if you have an air compressor and a top mounted paint gun ( a really nice one) you can do it too, it just is a very long drawn out process to primer/bondo/sand rinse, repeat. It took me over a year to get it into paintable condition.

...and boy did my hands hurt from all the sanding.

be carful when you go to buff the paint, a friend of my father who details cars when to buff a car that was home painted and had sat for 3 weeks and a chunk of paint ripped off, no fault of his per say, he did what he always does but the paint came up ...

Looks like a 289 to me. If you did an engine swap those exaust manifold would be history. Was it a C4 trans or a manual?

Wow! Nice work so far. My dream is to find my '66 Vintage Burgundy convertible w/289 3 speed on the floor and restore it. It had dual Thrush mufflers and a 500 CFM Holley 2 barrel, chrome reverse wheels......geez, I miss that car. I still have the Mustang/corral grill centerpiece from it. I also have the VIN, but I'm sure it's seen the crusher already as it was 1971 when I traded it in. Back then it was just another 5 year old car....nothing unusual because there were a blue million Mustangs around. Who knew?! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

This is getting me motivated to start my 67 Stang project.....gotta wait for my garage....I mean house.:laugh:

Looks great!:cool:

I can't wait to see the finished product and I really like the large stripe:cool: but whats the deal with how the front wheel sits so far forward in the later pics w/ the new Stang rims:shrug:

but whats the deal with how the front wheel sits so far forward in the later pics w/ the new Stang rims:shrug:

the first pic on the trailer shows the suspension at normal ride height with the drive train in it.
the later pics show it without the drive train.

Looks like a 289 to me. If you did an engine swap those exaust manifold would be history. Was it a C4 trans or a manual?

Yeah, it was originally a 289 2v with a 3 speed.

But the 289 and 3 speed were pulled.

The 302 is bored .40 over and I have brand spanking new Hooker headers to go onto the new engine along with a aluminum highrise and 4v carb. My only concern is getting the 5 speed to match up and work right. I have to take the driveshaft down and have it cut shorter in order to fit...

But I will keep yall updated..right now its all suspension work so thats really not ooohh and ahhhh material. Once the glass, engine, trim and 2003 GT Seats go in...I will update again.

Yeah, it was originally a 289 2v with a 3 speed.

But the 289 and 3 speed were pulled.

hey, my fathers 66 fastback also had the 289, 3 spd and limited slip 9inch rear end in it ... he swapped the 289 out for a 69 Boss 302 engine, but couldn't afford to upgrade the rest of the drive line at that time ... needless to say it liked to light up the tires ... if he does go forward with putting it back on the road he wants to put the 289 back into the car ...

Agreed. Great color choice.

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate it. I have always loved the Charcoal gray and black scheme. Its just so right.

But I hate individual stripes and plus, as it has surfaced here, I didnt want people going "oh your trying to make an eleanor". This is a creation that festered in my brain until I finally found a Mustang for $1200 and put it to work

Back