• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Can't shift into Drive, only Reverse and Neutral

Ra\/en

CEG'er
Hi. I tried to search but couldn't find anything and I really need some help. My 1998 Mystique ATX will not shift into "D". Only Park, Reverse, Neutral and I can put it into "2" and "1" but it shifts into those slowly and then sort of jerks when driving in either of those. Whenever I put it into "D" and I step on the gas, the car just revs. Could this be a MLPS problem?

Any help would be great, I need my car to run. Thanks in advance.

~Nick

It could be an MLPS problem, yes... I'd search up on "MLPS symptom" or the like and see what you can find..

I'll look for some, but I am at work, so I will get back here when I can...

Thanks for responding Ray. I will search it up and see what I can find. I will let you know if I find anything.

Thanks again.

Well I tried searching for symptoms of a bad MLPS, but I couldn't really find anything that matched what I have.

Any suggestions would help greatly.

Thanks.

I'm experiencing the same thing. But in my situation I can drive it when the car is cold for some strange reason. Once it warms up, the car stalls when I shift it into drive. I'll be looking into this thread.

Does the check engine light come on when the car stalls?

Do you mean before it stalls and/or are you getting a code? The CEL will always be on after the car stalls since the key is in the ON position... Just making sure :)

Hmmm, that is an interesting fact. Time to rest my computer!

I've been getting an EGR code and I was wondering if that has been causing my stalling.

My car never stalls. It just won't move. I put my car into drive and and push on the gas but the car goes nowhere and just Revs up.

I have a MLPS that I bought a long time ago thinking I was going to replace it for another problem. So I guess I will just try and replace that to see if it works.

But how the Heck do you get to the sensor on a 2.5L? I saw the how to on here but that was on a 2.0L. The 2.5L is Very hard to get to. Any suggestions or a quick how to would be awesome.

Thanks.

Nick

Ahh my problem is similar but different. Zetec MLPS is very easy to get to, unfortunately not sure how to get to it on the Duratec. I'm sure someone will chime in with the answer. Let us know if this solves the problem.

It has 130,000 on it. My ATFluid is in great condition was just flushed and replaced about 6 months ago.

Since the car does shift into "2" and "1" positions it leads me to think that the fluid is fine. I am thinking it must be something electrical. If someone could help explain how to replace this MLPS on the 2.5L then I will hope that is the problem. And let you know if this works for me.

~Nick

Well, I finally got the MLPS replaced. But no Luck! Car still wont shift into "D". I have decided to get a Transmission Shop to look at it. I will post back here when I hear what the problem is. My luck they will want to rebuild the whole thing.

How cheap can you get a rebuilt transmission?

~Nick

What about the interlock? That stops you from being able to shift in to Drive.

edit: that also stops you from shifting in to anything else.. nevermind... sorry.

Well. Unfortunately the shop says the problem is Internal. So they suggested a rebuild or put a used one into it. I don't think I am going to put that much money into that car though, so it looks like I will be searching for a new car tomorrow. I am really pissed off. I probably can't get anything for the Mystique with a busted tranny and I really can't be spending that much on a car.

Just wanted to post an update.

~Nick

Well, this is actually the second shop. First one gave me the same answer "Internal Problem". The first gave a price of $1800 -$2800. Second shop said $1800 - $2200. Also said something about the timing chain looking loose and said that because of that it may be a risk to remove the transmission, because with the loose timing chain and the chain never being replaced before, the engine could get damaged. Anyone ever heard of this?

~Nick

No?

What would happen when you REPLACE the timing chain? its REALLY loose when you take it OFF.. LOL. You lock it in place before removing the chain anyway, in that case, but I'm still not sure what they meant by "damaged". That's a very vague term, a method I see used a lot to indicate potential without having to have specifics. It generates concern for the problem in the customer, and an inclination to accept the diagnosis without further attempts to do anything differently for fear of "damage".

Well I have decided not to put the money into fixing the car. Does anyone have any idea how much I could get for it "as is". I was thinking about posting a classified ad here but really don't know how much it would be worth.

Thanks.

Nick

Back