• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

HELP...Rusted lug nuts spinning freely!!

madman666

CEG'er
Since picking up my CSVT in October I have left my SE to sit the problem is that I had after market (open ended and chrome ) lug nuts on and I did not have the center caps on either so last week I went to remove the rims and replace with my E1's from the CSVT and after a whole lot of PB blaster and a homemade torque bar I was able to get all of the lug nuts off but 2 in the front on the pass side ,these after applying an ass load of torque started to spin but the I realized that the whole wheel stud was moving!I even marked it to make sure ,so now I cant get it to over tighten and break off so that I can just replace the studs and I cant get them loose .I am stuck at this point and am looking for answers on how I can fix this and fast ,this car needs to be ready to drive to Michigan on the 23rd.

Sorry for the long post,and any help is appreciated.

Thank you

should've torched that sucker hot before you tried to take it out..

the only way now is to drill that lug nut out and replace it. You might have to replace the whole hub as the lug nut hole might be damaged on the hub itself.

Last edited:
should've torched that sucker hot before you tried to take it out..

the only way now is to drill that lug nut out and replace it. You might have to replace the whole hub as the lug nut hole might be damaged on the hub itself.

that is the conclusion I am coming to the lugs are tight but stud is spinning freely so yes im guessing the hub is stripped out too

Oxygen wrench?

Oxygen wrench?

Maybe there is a way for a shop to burn, with an oxygen rich torch, the stud end off from behind the flange or in the center of the nut or split the nut off with a tool? Hopefully it can be done w/o wrecking your wheel..

Back