• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

20 mm or 19mm

SVTJON87

Hard-core CEG'er
ok ive seen on some parts sites that they say the 99 svt has a 20 mm front swaybar, but i was always under the impression that it was a 19 mm. and it its 19 mm that means the 20mm bushings that came in my kit wont fit.

The sales literature that i picked up when I bought my SVT says that the front is 19 mm and the rear is 18 mm. I believe that is correct for all years.

I've measured a no. of them plus ordered a new 1 from Ford. 19mm is correct for the front bar and 18mm is correct for the rr.

Early ('95-'96) SE's came with a 19mm bar IIRC.

Suspension in those was deemed firmer than the C-SVT's.

Like stated the SVT uses a 1mm smaller bar (19mm) in the front.

However the larger OEM rear bars (95-97 SE, all SVT, & the "19mm" OEM bar BAT sells) are the same. They measure 18.6mm. (give or take some powder coating) I guess it is just in who measured them and if they rounded up or down???

The 95-97 SE's had "stiffer" springs then the SVT. The SVT's had better struts in either version. Quality aftermarket parts make it a moot point by now. Both great then, still great now... :D

Back