• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Electrical Problems

TheMitch

Be Gentle I'm New Here
First, this is a 1995 Mercury Mystique, V6 2.5, Automatic, 135k miles and the wiring "recall" was not done.

Next, the problem. My radio, power mirrors, interior lights, and back-up lights do not work. The other day as I was taking a look at the engine, and I did find the cracking of the insulation all over the place. Would the main power wires going into the distribution box cause a problem such as this? Also, has anyone documented the rebuilding of the harnesses?

Thanks,
Brian

Further insight. I had the radio out and was testing the power connectors. The wire that should be the battery source is dead at the radio. However, if the ignition is on, the ignition power wire will work. Any insights as to were the problem may be at? As of right now I have no wiring reference so I'm working blind.

I have a '95 V6 Mystique the wiring recall not done.

I have reinforced electrically sound but cracking areas with a FRESH (stickier) tube of GOOP spread liberally to protect and reinforce. This is for big cracks and areas that need mechanical stabilization.

For any and ALL other exposed wiring I sprayed it with Plasti Dip Spray (check ebay), a synthetic rubber spray coating. I used clear so you could still see the wires inside what you spray.

I have no known wiring problems as of yet.

PS How hard was it to replace the DPFE sensor?

Mike

Somebody did rebuild a harness, the one behind the engine (search old forum). Also, check behind your underdash fuse box for wiring issues there, and simply for a blown fuse as well. I think radio, backup lamps and domelights all share a fuse. (see owners manual at www.fleet.ford.com)

Back