• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

All I can say is, WTF!?

stacking roots blowers is the rat-rod equivalent to sequential turbos. It was never terribly common, but it was by no means rare.

If you have a roots blower with a 2:1 ratio, it will pump twice the air volume than the engine would draw natually aspirated, at any given rpm, two 2:1 blowers therefore move roughtly four times the air; ofcourse a single blower could be run with a smaller pulley to simply spin it faster and raise the ratio, but that maxes out the blower sooner and generates additional heat. This is where the benefit of twin roots blowers lies; twin blower can be spun slower thusly keeping heat down, while the multiplication effect significantly increases air flow. It may not be an ideal set up, the efficiency of turbos proves that, but it it effective none the less.

stacking roots blowers is the rat-rod equivalent to sequential turbos. It was never terribly common, but it was by no means rare.

If you have a roots blower with a 2:1 ratio, it will pump twice the air volume than the engine would draw natually aspirated, at any given rpm, two 2:1 blowers therefore move roughtly four times the air; ofcourse a single blower could be run with a smaller pulley to simply spin it faster and raise the ratio, but that maxes out the blower sooner and generates additional heat. This is where the benefit of twin roots blowers lies; twin blower can be spun slower thusly keeping heat down, while the multiplication effect significantly increases air flow. It may not be an ideal set up, the efficiency of turbos proves that, but it it effective none the less.

interesting, i did not know that. so would this be, in theory, the same reason why i saw two vortech blowers on a diablo? or is that not the same because theyre centrifigal blowers?

interesting, i did not know that. so would this be, in theory, the same reason why i saw two vortech blowers on a diablo? or is that not the same because theyre centrifigal blowers?

centrifugals will not work the same way because of the nature of the compressor wheel only being able to move a specific volume of air. twin centrifugals are used in parallel so that two smaller units can achieve a combined output similar to a single larger unit; same concept as a twin turbo vs. single turbo setup.

Don't forget it its also taking twice as much energy from the engine to spin that second super charger.

Back