• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

ADC Turbo?

nope its true. ADC talked about making a more affordable kit in the price range of $3K, but nothing has been heard from them in a few months.

Coming from someone who is designing their own kit and producing it themselves (I'm sure Tom will agree), for what you get for the $6K (headers, up-pipe, turbo, f/a intercooler, downpipe, intake, base tune chip, all accessories to work, etc.) is worth it! Trust me, I'm developing my own kit because I thought they where too expensive myself and that lead me to buying the worst mistake of my life and wasting much more than $6K in the process.

Yes. If you don't want to learn to do it yourself, you have money, and your time is money to you, then you will find that a kit that bolts on and works nicely is well worth the $6000.

Now to caveat that I would say a basic tune needs to be included so it doesn't blow up.

I found I didn't have the $ or even the desire to spend $6K on a kit and I was able to do it myself cheaper and learn in the process. A win/win for me I think.

i just emailed ADC to ask them what happened to the kit and if they are indeed making a cheaper kit...we'll get to the bottom of this!

lol, IF they decide to respond.

As far as my costs. Material costs were about $2800 with the labor attached and that was with buying a used intercooler and no tuning.
Labor and tuning add up. Then later there was better selection of components that it cost to replace my first choices, etc.

Actually now after all my projects, I would say Material costs COULD come in around $2000 if you were willing to use stock manifolds and convert them to run a turbo with appropriate piping. I have the design done but I will NOT produce it as the market is too low for the labor involved. Maybe if I'd figured it out back in 2002 then I would have done it but not now.

I really would like to have my car turboed but im not going to lie i dont know much about forced induction. But now that adc dosent make it anymore im compleatly lost on how to make my custom kit now.

I really would like to have my car turboed but im not going to lie i dont know much about forced induction. But now that adc dosent make it anymore im compleatly lost on how to make my custom kit now.

If this is the end of ADC kits, I wouldnt be surprised if the used kits go up in price since there is so few of them out there.

After subtracting the materials from the price tag I think Keith made something like $5.00 an hour assembling it. I don't see the $6k kit coming back unless someone buys the jigs from him and starts to produce them. As for the 3k kit I'd say it's on hold. I think he has the headers almost done and he has the turbo, etc. but there is a lot left to do and a lot of uncertainty it will sell. If you guys really wanted it completed I'd suggest a group buy with a deposit up front. Get the details from him and negotiate how you guys want it built. Money talks, you might have some say in how it could be constructed.

After subtracting the materials from the price tag I think Keith made something like $5.00 an hour assembling it. I don't see the $6k kit coming back unless someone buys the jigs from him and starts to produce them. As for the 3k kit I'd say it's on hold. I think he has the headers almost done and he has the turbo, etc. but there is a lot left to do and a lot of uncertainty it will sell. If you guys really wanted it completed I'd suggest a group buy with a deposit up front. Get the details from him and negotiate how you guys want it built. Money talks, you might have some say in how it could be constructed.

LOL, remember how that went the first time? People were all over the bandwagon and as soon as the first pictures showed up with a log manifold everybody started crying. :cry:
"Headers" everyone shouted, "Stainless Steel" and all that shyte so what would have been a simple profitable kit turned into a frukn nightmare to fit and produce. :mad:
Props to Keith and you guys doing so and for all the test muling and such, but in reality the cost to performance and profit ratio was just not there. It's a shame a man could build such a kit and not make much money off of it.....and the gratitude of some of those people is just amazing. :nonono:

That is exactly why I built my simple set of pipes on the second time around. Just to prove what could be done!
****loads of torque/HP from a simple 8-9psi on a basic 3L with a cost to produce the pipes probably only 25% of what it took to make the stainless headers. Dropping numbers as good as anything out there.:cool: That is where it is at.

Now you all know why I was laughing all the way to the bank while people sat there pushing and pushing to get some work of art that should have been in the smithsonian or something. :shrug: I mean heck, you can't even see the friggin pipes when they are on the engine so "whateva"!

Back