• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

engine troubles

Frostythehitman

New CEG'er
I was cursing around in the contour , all of a sudden my car stalls out of no where, i realized some time before that the throttle response was very sluggish and jerky, luckily i was close to home. the check engine light remains on and the car stalls constantly and there is lots of air benign pushed out between the engine and the air box. any suggestions are great fully appreciated. also recently changed the alternator, battery, and idler pulley.

Spec SE 2.5 automatic no mods

P.S. its to dark to see outside ill be checking it out after school tomorrow with the guys !

Last edited:
Need to get it to Autozone or Advance or purchase a cheap code reader for $50 and get the CEL codes. Post the codes.

Maybe the clamp for the airbox came out.

I used one of my Friends Code Reader and it said that the Fuel Pressure was high on the Fuel rail. My Friend told me that it was proably the fuel pump inside the tank. any ways where going to check the fuel pressure with a gauge that hes got so ill post up more info when i find it out. other than that everything has been running decently suputters once and awhile but accelerates fine.

If it is the fuel pump inside the tank, we would have to remove it. so i was wondering if i should replace the tank with a lighter plastic one or go with orignal style. please post your opinion !! ty

you said it was a 2.5 ATX but what year is the car? and what is the exact code number?

generally high fuel pressure is not a problem with the pump but a problem with the fuel pressure regulator. if the pump fails the pressure is almost always low instead of high.

Random after a couple of days driving around with the problem it seemed to fix itself, the CEl went off and the problem seemed to disappear every thing is back to normal, it accelerates fine and does not bog down when idling

Back