• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Having rev problems with my car.

svt_fan1129

CEG'er
Hey guys, When I first bought my car, it was a strong little peppy contour. I was suprised of the power it had.

before i left to banff, I realize the when I slam on the gas to get on the highway, the rpm's go very high but the car is going no where. My one buddy says I might need to change the tranny oil. Also, I blow up my gasket ( due from too much oil, pressure build up :S )

any other reason why my rpms are sky high and no go ???

thanks.

eric

If your car is a MANUAL (stick), do this test:

roll down the street at 15mph or so.. place the car in 4th and floor it. do the REVS rise without the car going anywhere (or, at least, keeping up with the revs?)

The car SHOULD not increase speed fast and NOT increase revs fast. things should stay pretty docile and low on the tach.

if your revs rise, then your clutch is slipping due to age. be prepared to replace it.

If you have an AUTOMATIC (PRNDL12) then please explain what happens. You mention a tach, so I assume a manual.

I suspect your clutch is, indeed, slipping and needs to be replaced.. Don't bother with transmission oil for this particular problem.

Back