• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Brake Woes

Brent372

Official SE Event Coordinator
I am posting this here as it will probably get more "coverage"
Mods, if you feel the need to move it, then please do so.

I know to alot of you, this will sound trivial, but it has been a nightmare for me.

A week and 1/2 ago on my way into work I heard grinding when I braked.
I stop and look, and sure enough, there is a grand-canyon sized gouge in my rotor.. OK.. time for brakes.

I bought pads and rotors (the gouge was pretty bad).
I take off the front calipers (had to cut the brake line - so I bought new ones of those also - as it was so rusted) to paint them while I am at it.

After painting, the new rotors and pads go on along with the painted calipers.

Time to bleed.
And off breaks the head of the bleeder screw.
That is last Sunday at 7:30 PM.
So I start my search on Monday for new bleeders.
I eventually order them from Ford.
In the mean time I borrow and easy-out to take out the old bleeder screw, but no luck there. It isn't budging.

-Now mind you, I decided to do this myself because it should have been cheaper-

Well I go buy a set remmaned calipers.

I get them painted and ready to go on.
But they just won't line up with the rotor on.
At this point we (myself and some other CEG'ers) determine that NAPA sold me E0 calipers.
Would this be the case.
The 15mm bolts in the back won't line up. The holes in the caliper bracket and the holes in the hub that is.
They almost line up, but the rotor keeps hitting the edge of the caliper bracket and it won't go on any further.

So off I go to NAPA tomorrow morning to try and return my "new / re-manned but already painted" calipers.

Yeah... they were so rusted into place.
I could have disonnected them at the top them gotten them out of the calipers, but I wanted to replace them anyways...

Back