• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Attn: people who live up north (Mackinac-ish or around there)

RyeLou

CEG'er
Do any of you or anyone else know much about Elk? Are Elk or other large animals (compared to metro-Detoit anyhow) frequently spooted anywhere around there? I'm not looking to hunt anything so I'm not worried about seasons...just trying to figure out where to find them. Bear would be sweet too. I'm not sure where to look for either though.

Do any of you or anyone else know much about Elk? Are Elk or other large animals (compared to metro-Detoit anyhow) frequently spooted anywhere around there? I'm not looking to hunt anything so I'm not worried about seasons...just trying to figure out where to find them. Bear would be sweet too. I'm not sure where to look for either though.

i've heard you can find the rare and reclusive tweeceopattamus somewhere in ferndale under a slow, blue pile of metal.

The key to bear watching is once you see them..they like it when you run up to them and hand them a sammich...they prefer roast beef with swiss cheese on an onion roll with a bit of A1 on it....and they like it best when you rush them with it ok./

Up towards Gaylord and Vanderbilt is a good area to see elk. I have seen quite a few up there. As far as what Judge said bears really like tuna.

You've seen them fairly recently? (As in the past couple of years anyhow) Where exactly? Or closer to what area.

I see them almost everytime I go up that way. My Girlfriends parents live just northwest of Gaylord in Vanderbilt. Their property connects with the Pigeon River Country State Forest couple times I have seen Elk in the yard up there. Gaylord has a Elk viewing area also. Try this site http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7-153-10369_36152-151760--,00.html.

Last edited:
Thanks. Maybe we'll head up to Gaylord for a night and see what we can find on some of the state land.

Thanks. Maybe we'll head up to Gaylord for a night and see what we can find on some of the state land.

I Gaylord there is a park where you can see them. By the way it's hunting season. I don't think it would be to smart to go walking around state land. If you do try the elk viewing areas.

Last edited:
I Gaylord there is a park where you can see them. By the way it's hunting season. I don't think it would be to smart to go walking around state land. If you do try the elk viewing areas.

Yeah I know. I'll have to keep that in mind and figure out who will be hunting what if/when we go up.

Only Elk are on a preserve. Where the hell do you think we live? North pole?

Want moose? then go to the UP. Lanse area.

Bear? Umm check out a trash hill

Last edited:
If you want to see ELK and I mean up close, go here when they open back up http://www.amberelkranch.com/, pretty cool place. Went there over the summer and the Elk come right over to the tour wagon. Not to mention they have a Elk BBQ on Saturdays, mm good stuff. Would defintily go back. Not to mention Ludingtons beachs are probaly the best in MI, though other than that the L is kind of boring.

Michigan's elk heard is centered around Atlanta. East of I75 and North of M72 should put you in the zone.

Bears are plentiful in many places. Lupton / Rose City is a hot spot. As Da Yooper said, any trash hill or dump is also a good bet for finding a bruin.

Back