• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Unknown Problem

ok well the mlps didn't fix it. the o/d off light doesnt flash anymore. it comes on and goes off at no specific times.

Forgive me for being stupid but shouldn't a '97 model car have a MAF sensor instead of MAP??

If you mean as an unconditional statement, then no, I don't think so. If you mean on this platform, then yes..

oh i didnt notice that. i did mean maf. sorry. newayz what else could could cause my o/d light to come on but not flash? ford is now telling me that we are gonna have problems with our contour untill we get rid of it. seriously they said that. im startin to think my wiring harness is just shot because i heard someone else mention some problems with their wiring harness...could i be having problems with that? i dunno what else to look at.

i keep forgetting to post this but my battery light comes on when im heavy on the gas and my g/f said the fans are running all the time.

that sounds like an alternator problem with the light coming on while your on the gas. you might want to start looking at your wiring harness really closely. just my .02.

I want to guarantee you it is electrical in nature and that you may never, ever find the problem. My car is known to do the exact same thing, just without any dummy lights popping on. (I drive a 96 se)

i got a video of my OD light flashing. it didnt stall this time and it didnt rev up and down like it sometimes does but maybe you guys will notice sumthin that i dont. i got some video of the engine running, the 2 maf sensor wires that ford replaced(the green ones), the exhaust, and the gauge cluster idling and driving. i can get more video if you wanted to see sumthin else and i can change the video format if the video i got doesnt play on your computer.

http://s256.photobucket.com/albums/hh183/aysebean/?action=view&current=CIMG16441.flv

Take it to Autozone or Advance for a free read of the codes. Then post the exact codes here. You have changed the Transmission Range Sensor aka Manual lever position sensor and still have the problem. Check the wiring from the MLPS to the PCM.

i've takin it to advance several times and once when the light was actually on and nuthin ever comes up. ford has also tried reading the codes and they didnt get anything either. i think i'll just have to take one of my days off and search this whole wiring harness. i have already noticed 2 other wires at the ends by the plug that dont look to good. how would you fix a wire thats messed up right by the plug? actually i guess i'll just have to get a new plug right?

well i looked at the wiring harness a little this morning and found 2 more plugs that didnt look to good. i can get some pics later of these but i'll try to explain them. the wires on alot of these plugs are pressed up against the side of the plug and a little less then 1/4" of the plastic on these wires look like they are broken off. theres bare wire showing at these stress points where the wire is turned. shouldnt the plastic on the wire go the whole way into the plug? like i dont think i should see ANY bare wire. i dont know how ford found those 2 maf sensor wires broken because they werent broken at the plug. on the bill they gave me it said they found moisture on those 2 wires. how did they find "moisture" on a wire? they must have suspected that wires on the maf were broken to even check them. but they specifically said "moisture". the light i think always comes on in the rain. i excluded the rain as an issue though because the light has also came on before when it wasnt raining. im gonna check the wires from the mlps to the pcm hopefully later but i think im lookin for a needle in a haystack here. i dont have much of a choice though because i dont wanna end up replacing a wiring harness if its not the problem. i have been checking ground wires as i find them but i have not found any that were loose or broken or anything. plus im pretty sure ford would have had enough sense to check ground wires with an electrical problem.

Go to Home Depot or Lowes and pick up a bottle of Liquid Electrical Tape. It comes in a metal can and has a brush attached to it. Use it to brush the exposed wires. I did it for my positive battery cable.

ford is now trying to say my transmision is goin out. they must think this is funny. my transmission shifts fine untill it throws itself into nuetral. and if they thought it was the transmission why the hell did they replace the mlps and the maf and then find out it was 2 wires on the maf that got it to stop stalling. ok let me tell you what they thought.

first-plugs+wires(changed)
second-ignition module(found out its inside the pcm)
replaced pcm.
third-rear o2 sensors(replaced)
fourth-dirty iac(they cleaned the iac with supposed cleaner that doesnt ruin them)
fifth-front o2 sensors(replaced)
sixth-maf(replaced)
seventh-maf wires(replaced)
eighth-transmission

i mean come on now how many times are they gonna keep guessing what the problem is. apparently they have allready checked my wiring harness and its fine. they couldnt have possibly looked at it any better theen i have because everything is still covered in dirt. my whole wiring accept for what they messed with still has road dirt on it. how could they have checked my whole wiring harness without moving anything. ok heres my question...could the transmission shift itself in to nuetral without the mlps telling it to do so? like is it possible for my transmission to be the problem?

EDIT: WELL I CALLED FORD AND THEY SAID THEY USED SOMETHIN CALLED A "BLACKBOX" TO CHECK MY WIRING HARNESS. HE SAID IT SENDS A VOLTAGE THROUGH THE WIRING HARNESS AND CHECKS IT FOR PROBLEMS. HE SAID THEY CHECKED ALL THE WIRING HARNESSES BECAUSE THERES MORE THEN ONE(WHICH I ALREADY KNEW) AND HE SAID THATS HOW THEY FOUND THE 2 BROKEN MAF WIRES. HE SAID I HAVE HAD TO TAKE THIS CAR TO THE GARAGE SO MANY TIMES BECAUSE THE COMPUTERS AND THEIR DIAGNOSTICS SAID THERE WERE PROBLEMS WITH THAT STUFF AND I GUESS OUT OF BAD LUCK NONE OF THEM THINGS FIXED MY PROBLEM AND HE IS SAYING THROUGH PAST EXPERIANCE WITH MY CURRENT PROBLEM THAT THE TRANSMISSION IS TO BLAME. THE ONLY THING HE SAID TO BACK IT UP WAS THAT THE TRANSMISSION IS ELECTRONICALLY CONTROLLED AND THAT SOMETHIN INTERNAL IN THE TRANSMISSION IS SHIFTING THE CAR INTO NUETRAL.

we will be putting down the hammer on ford. i went to a different garage to get some codes checked and wow what do you know...4 codes.

P1000-OBDII system check incomplete
P0603-internal control module.
P1127-downstrean o2 sensor not tested
P1780-transmission control switch out of range

since ALL that stuff was replaced already why would it still be giving codes? the only thing i can think of is the wiring harness. so why the hell would ford be trying to get me to replace my transmission. the mechanic that ran these codes also test drove the car and he agrees that there is an electrical problem. especially if the computer cant even complete its tests.

EDIT: after hearing what i just previously wrote ford is once again doing free diagnostics. hopefully this time they get somewhere.

... WELL I CALLED FORD AND THEY SAID THEY USED SOMETHIN CALLED A "BLACKBOX" TO CHECK MY WIRING HARNESS. HE SAID IT SENDS A VOLTAGE THROUGH THE WIRING HARNESS AND CHECKS IT FOR PROBLEMS. HE SAID THEY CHECKED ALL THE WIRING HARNESSES BECAUSE THERES MORE THEN ONE(WHICH I ALREADY KNEW) AND HE SAID THATS HOW THEY FOUND THE 2 BROKEN MAF WIRES....

It's called a B.O.B, breakout box.

we will be putting down the hammer on ford. i went to a different garage to get some codes checked and wow what do you know...4 codes.

P1000-OBDII system check incomplete
P0603-internal control module.
P1127-downstrean o2 sensor not tested
P1780-transmission control switch out of range

since ALL that stuff was replaced already why would it still be giving codes? the only thing i can think of is the wiring harness. .
Most probably.

ford found another shorted wire going to the pcm. they said it still didnt show up on their breakout box or black box or whatever its called. they said its running better but they still wanna hold on to the car untill tomorrow and check over it better and test drive it somemore. hopefully they fixed it. im crossing my fingers.

Back