• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Alternator Issue

tour95

CEG'er
Okay, got the car about 3 months ago from my recently passed grandmother. Drove it about a week before putting in a stereo.
Panasonic HU
Fosgate Amp wiring kit
2 Sony xplod 12's
250WT amp and 200WT pioneer for mids and hi's
the power wire is i believe 6/4G that runs into a distrub block powering both amps and a neon bar. the ground is 6/4G into a distrub block with all the grounds.

The car is a 95 Tour GL, 57K miles and orginal alt (i believe), the battery was replaced around a year ago.
The battery light came on at school on the drive home. I parked it and ran a voltmeter cross the terms. I get 12.25 headlighs on and car off. Then 12.12 while running. I knew it had to be the alt, took it to auto zone they tested it. The guy couldnt get to the alt (dont believe u have to access it to test it, made me worry bout the training of teh mexican) but he said battery was low on charge. I drove home and ran the voltmeter again, 11.32 now, and slowly going. I parked the car and now am lookin at high-output alts.

Now my question is, can i replace it myself, I dont really want to pay a shop. Is http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130045435801&fromMakeTrack=true this a good alt? Is it worth the xtra money for a high-output alt in the long run? Also, what might have caused the dead alt?

You don't need one.

You just need a good OEM alternator and good wiring... all of it. All the wires to the alternator, grounds and junk. Make em bigger and good and you'll be fine.

check your megafuse before replacing the alternator. It could just as easily be that. if not, then start looking at the how-to for alternator replacement.

if you have fog lamps check the fog lamp fuse in the engine compartment fuse panel ... this gave me a run around for a few hours ...

Well I do have fog lamps, but they are pro-burners. Both are grounded to each horn and the power wire comes up and in the firewall were the amp power is coming through. Goes into the switch to were the parking lights come on. I might have put them on a non-switched 12v in the switch. The switch is not fog-light ready, its just shoved in the hole.

Well I do have fog lamps, but they are pro-burners. Both are grounded to each horn and the power wire comes up and in the firewall were the amp power is coming through. Goes into the switch to were the parking lights come on. I might have put them on a non-switched 12v in the switch. The switch is not fog-light ready, its just shoved in the hole.

then my comment doesn't apply, the factory fog lamps share a fuse with the signal wire for the alternator ... i was changing a pulley on the alternator and the fuse went and I didn't know it and I ran around for an hour getting that alternator testing since I thought it had failed ... but there where other issues also ...

MegaFuse

MegaFuse

Ok, when I get home I will attempt to get to the megafuse. Any real diagrahm of how to get to it, instead of a picture. Also, were should I get the fuse and how much?

"Any real diagrahm of how to get to it, instead of a picture."
Remove coil pack, look under by the firewall, remove two bolts.

"Also, were should I get the fuse"
Autozone, Advance, Ford dealer.

Just pulled mega fuse. Tested out fine, but still replaced it. Same thing now, running 12v across the battery. Is it the alt for sure?

Back