• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

CSVT Weight

That may be what the "officially" shot for weight, but NUMEROUS actual weigh-ins of CEG members have found much higher and WIDELY varying weights.

My E1 (Kremits car) weight 3250 with driver (I only weight about 150)
There is a VERY extensive thread on the old forums made ONLY about weights of member's vehicles.

I corner weighed my car and it came in at 2950 w/o me and 3/4 tank of gas. Spare and jack were still in too. This was when my car was pretty much stock.

i got this book from '99 its got a bunch of cars it tell's everything

"curb weight" Lbs

Contours
Lx- 2769
SE- 2833
SVT- 3069
Mystiques
GS- 2808
LS- 2808

If the CAT scales (etc) are DESIGNED to weigh in ranges from 10 to 100,000 pounds, then it will not be as accurate at ranges higher or lower than that. Unless it is electromagnetic, or the like, which the MAJORITY of truck scales are not.

If the CAT scales (etc) are DESIGNED to weigh in ranges from 10 to 100,000 pounds, then it will not be as accurate at ranges higher or lower than that. Unless it is electromagnetic, or the like, which the MAJORITY of truck scales are not.

i can believe that, but i dont see how a scale that weights things will give u a inaccurate reading just because its designed to weigh heavier things. i guess u learn things eveyrday.. :)

I'm not completely sure why, but I think it's something to do with the calibration of it. They are calibrated at very high weights as compared to the weight of a car, so the calibration might be off for a low weight range. Please correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Think of it like this:

If you worked in a factory and lifted certain parts ALL DAY that weighed EXACTLY 5lbs OR 10lbs. you'd be GREAT at telling anyone which one weighed which weight (say THAT three times fast)

Now.. toss in something that weighs... oh... I dunno... 12oz or so? or.. maybe 11.5? or perhaps 10.9? Well, shoot.. I dunno.. YOU TELL ME how much it weighs.

If it isn't something that you are accustomed to measuring, or designed to measure, then you MIGHT be able to guess.. but would you be ACCURATE?

Ross, you've picked up the point exactly.. Yes, that's it. There are little guys under there that guess and they aren't used to guessing such tiny cars.

ive worked on farms all my life an i know for a fact that some truck scales arn't certified for under 5 to 10 thousand lbs. i know this because ive had my car on 2 different scales one of them didn't even show any weight at all the other one tiped the scales at 5000 lbs even. but when we put a 36000 lb truck on with it and then drove the car off it showed 3110 lb lighter. but anywho if the scale is up to date it should be calabrated every year. and there should be a certificte somewere showing what weight it is certifed for.

$.02

It has more to do with design of the scale than with it's calibration.

When scales are calibrated, manufactures instructions must be followed. The first reading is for the weight specified in the instructions. It is usually near the mid point of the range. Adjustment are made as needed. Next, linearity is checked with lighter or heavier weight to confirm that it is still accurate. A completely different adjustment is then made.

As with any calibrated piece of equipment, measurements are checked throughout the range of intended use. Usually at least four points in the range.

Truck scales weigh cars fine as long as they are designed and calibrated for the lower weight. Most are.

Back