• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

maf questions

BrApple

No Life But CEG
ok, I am really getting myself confused here over what is a 80mm maf.

I have two lightning mafs now and I am trying to figure out which one is 80mm.

first which end of the maf would one measure to determine its size? the airfilter side or the tb side?

I have one that is labeled XL3F-12B579-AA and 1L3F-12B579-AB

the 1L3f is larger then the XL3F.

I found this information

80mm = XL3F-12B579-AA
90mm = 1L3Z-12B579-AA (might be 1L3Z-12B5579AA)

and

I also have a 90mm C&L LIGHTNING MAF (part # xl3f-12b579-aa)

so which one is which?

Reebs told me that he was able to drop the 80mm in without issue. well the 80mm that he sent me doesn't match the maf adaptor that NPG sent me. It does match the stock maf.

Now the MAF I just got today was suppose to be 80mm also but I think its a 90mm as its larger then the one I have ... unless I got them mixed up ...

which ine is which and do I need a different maf adaptor to use it?

Last edited:
The TB side should be the side to measure. The air filter side probably has some kind of radius and will be bigger.

The actual spot for the measurement is where the samping tube is, but you'd need a bore micrometer to measure that so i'd just measure the TB side since it should be pretty close.

I have a Lightning 90mm MAF on my zetec. ill see if i cant get the part number off of it for you. at the very least i will take some measurments.

Edit: my 90mm MAF has an ID of 3.75" and OD of 4" on the TB side

Last edited:
ok I compaired the two I have to the 90mm that aircougar has and this is correct

80mm = XL3F-12B579-AA
90mm = 1L3Z-12B579-AA (might be 1L3Z-12B5579AA)

measuring the tb ID also confirms this.

now I just need a maf adaptor for the 80mm ...

Curious: why go with 80mm instead of 90mm? Do you think the 80 offers better resolution?

They have differing MAF transfer functions, so the tune you have will only work for one or the other. Joey told me to go with the 90mm.

Curious: why go with 80mm instead of 90mm? Do you think the 80 offers better resolution?

They have differing MAF transfer functions, so the tune you have will only work for one or the other. Joey told me to go with the 90mm.

on recomendation from another member. I also read that going to big will make the A/F harder to control. I am goign to be sitting right around 300 hp I believe and I just want alittle extra head room to make sure I am good. Just like the fuel pump, replacing to make sure I'm safe, even though I shouldn't need it, depending...

does the 90mm fit in the same spot as the stock one would? I was told the 90mm wouldn't fit under the hood with this setup.

Mine has 1L3F-12B579-AB :shrug:

Edit: Just called Bill J and the above part number in my post transfers over to 1L3Z-12B579-AA which is a 90mm

Aaron

Last edited:
The 90mm should fit in the same spot as the 80mm. Its not that much larger. Both fit pretty snug in there. I think I am running a 90mm out of a Cobra.

Back