• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

What else to do (or not do)....

svttouruofl

CEG'er
Well the clutch went out the other day in my svt and I went ahead and tore into the removal process. As of yesterday I dropped the entire subframe with the engine, trans, rack, and entire front suspension still attached to it and just lifted the body off. The current mods/maintenance that I plan on at the moment are:

-Stage 3 clutch
-improved shift forks
-fix my bad 3rd gear synchro
-install at least the stronger pre98 differential if not a torsion or quaife
-MSDS headers
-Aftermarket Y-pipe
-Have the Alternator rebuilt or replaced

Is there anything else that I should do while I have all this out, or not do that I'm planning on doing? A few people have told me to at least check the timing chains, and go with a DMD pulley. A few others have also told me to pull and clean the UIM and LIM while at it. What are your feelings on this situation and what would you do. I'm going to keep it at the 2.5 at the moment and build the trans now to take the upgraded power and abuse that will come later.

Also on the headers I have been reading up on where the coatings have been coming off after about a year and people are stripping them and just using high temp paint. Should I just order them bare and use the proper high temp paint to begin with?

If your doing the clutch...

I would recommend a Fidanza Flywheel. They are 9lbs lighter and will reduce the strain on the rod bearings.

Basically what Daniel said... It is in the plans. Whether or not it happens depends on how quickly the Duster gets to moving, and that should be firing up this winter if everything goes as planned. But I'm not going to lie. I abuse the hell out of my SVT. So while I'm at it I probably should upgrade if I want it to last at all. But what would be other good maintenance to the engine/tranny while it is out other than what I had listed already? And any input on the coated/painted headers?

3L :shrug:

:laugh:

sounds like you have a pretty good list going. I would also inspect the engine for oil leaks and replace seals/gaskets as needed since it should be pretty easy with the motor out of the car.

Back