• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Need help!

contourkid

CEG'er
hey all,

im the owner of a blow 1999 se contour. i have every intetion of fixing it but there is one problem.... Where the crap would you find a decent 2.5 motor????? lol

i have browsed the local carneys and they have one that is better off to be called junk. everything is dandy on this car. it just needs : tires, pads, rotors... o and it saw a shallow ditch in the winter and needs new headlights because it broke the brackets.

it has 157,460mi on the original motor and tranny... so if any of you know where to get a decent motor it would mean a great deal to me.

Where are you located? And honestly you will be better off getting a 3.0L 2001+ Taurus engine to throw in there. More power, cheaper, basically a drop in but you either need a custom fuel rail or an adaptor plate from Nautilous Performance. But with either of those it is still cheaper than another 2.5

I don't understand why people would fix up a Contour SE. For the amount of time and money you would have in it you could buy another used one...

As another idea... just buy a 2000+ Taurus they are a dime a dozen and you could probably get one for the price that you would find another Contour SE. When I was looking I found one for $2900. It was a 2000, fully loaded with a 3.0L DOHC. The only down side was that it had 156k on it.

If your Contour SE is blown... move on. Hell buy an SVT Contour if you want to stick with Contiques. In my mind there is no reason to fix anything other then an SVT because you can buy another one to replace it easy enough.

But with either of those it is still cheaper than another 2.5
Its not cheaper than a 2.5 SE engine ;) Odds are the car's probably an automatic and it would be a big waste to put a 3L in it.

If you haven't tried already, check with LKQ, car-part.com, and local salvage yards. If you're in MN you can try jerrys auto salvage in Big Lake or AAA auto parts in Rosemount and East Bethel. If you want to gamble and pull your own engine they have them at the U-Pull yards next to the AAA locations.

Also, what is exactly wrong with the 2.5?

see the whole thing is, i am 17... not proud of it but i feel that it is my responsibility to fix the flippin car. i also like it for sentimental reasons. if it comes down to it i will sell the car upon completion to buy an svt like i had originally planned to do.

that is why i like my contour, it was my first tour and it deserves better.

CK

i dont quite know what is wrong with the 2.5 but i know it will not turn over and it is seized... aka not my time to fix it. i am under contract to get the frackin thing fixed by october... see the point of me holding on to it...

CK

i dont quite know what is wrong with the 2.5 but i know it will not turn over and it is seized... aka not my time to fix it. i am under contract to get the frackin thing fixed by october... see the point of me holding on to it...

CK

Not turning over and seized are two completely different things.

If it's not turning over... is your starter actually trying to turn it over? Or is it just clicking. More details here please.

How do you know it is seized? More details here too please.

The more information we have the better chance we have of helping you. For example what led up to the car seizing or not turning over?

ok the engine i know is basically done because of oil starvation. it had its last drive going from my mechanic friends house, and seven blocks down the road. all the sudden the nose of the car slammed down and everything turned off. i turned the key and i could here the starter try but not move. i got out and checked it for oil and it was bone dry. i looked under the car and the entire undercarrage was lined with 5w30. i got in and put it in nuetral and pushed it the other 4 blocks needed to get it to shelter. it has sat there since.

CK

What color is the exterior/interior ? mtx or auto ?

Just wondering.

Back