• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Windshield cracked. Suggestions?

FauxhawkFox

Hard-core CEG'er
Front windshield is cracked bigger than a credit card. It was a rock that fell off a truck that was in front of me. I wanted to know which is a better offer...

1. Get insurance to pay for it and they will use some glass company.
2. Stealership.
3. Can I even go to a junk yard? I know its really hard to pull a glass out without the right tools.

I dont want some crap glass. Will the ford symbol stay after any of those options. Will they leak?

BTW the crack is about 11 inches straight across, a foot away from the vent.

Front windshield is cracked bigger than a credit card. It was a rock that fell off a truck that was in front of me. I wanted to know which is a better offer...

1. Get insurance to pay for it and they will use some glass company.
2. Stealership.
3. Can I even go to a junk yard? I know its really hard to pull a glass out without the right tools.

I dont want some crap glass. Will the ford symbol stay after any of those options. Will they leak?

BTW the crack is about 11 inches straight across, a foot away from the vent.

The windshield in our Windstar leaked from the top right corner, we had it replaced at Gerber Collision and Glass (don't think they have any locations in FL) but we haven't had any problems with leaks since then, I don't think it has etched (or whatever) Ford oval anymore. I forget what we paid, I think around 250... From what I've heard glass can be a huge pain if you don't have the right tools.

thanks, I think I might just do the insurance and hope for the best. Ive just heard horror stories. The glass has grown an inch since I posted this. :help:

I looked into replacing the windscreen and its a nightmare task. They say its almost impossible to remove without breaking in the first place and takes hours to do.
I need to replace mine because it has a ripple in the glass. I don't really notice it much but passengers always comment on it. My guess is it was replaced on the cheap by someone.
Get it done at a reputable place.

It was $250 for me to replace it on my Contour. The glass company did it onsite. It was free for the Maxima because I went through insurance.

Check with your insurance company. In MA, it was free with comprehensive insurance. In NH, you have to pay your comprehensive deductible (I have a $500 comp deductible). Depends on the state and your policy.

Both replacement windshields were fine. The Contour developed a mysterious film that kept reappearing every few weeks, but I got rid of the car shortly after.

The Contour developed a mysterious film that kept reappearing every few weeks

Thats what Im afraid of.
My insurance is through state farm. They said it would be free and the install could be whenever I want it to be. They said it would match but I could call ford and ask for the code for the glass just to make sure at the install.

rouar;426297 The Contour developed a mysterious film that kept reappearing every few weeks said:
Was it kind of a white greasy film?? I had that happen after replacing a windshield on a GM car in high school went back to the glass shop and they said in the summer when the dash gets hot, if you use anything like Armor All etc on the dash, it evaporates on to the windshield, giving that film (not sure how much truth there is to that though).. I've noticed on other cars, our Windstar gets it's bad sometimes in the summer (I mean wiping down interior side every couple days bad).

Was it kind of a white greasy film?? I had that happen after replacing a windshield on a GM car in high school went back to the glass shop and they said in the summer when the dash gets hot, if you use anything like Armor All etc on the dash, it evaporates on to the windshield, giving that film (not sure how much truth there is to that though).. I've noticed on other cars, our Windstar gets it's bad sometimes in the summer (I mean wiping down interior side every couple days bad).
What you're referring to isn't the Armor All, but rather the plastic in the dash. Over time the plastic actually out-gasses. The film on your windshield is the gas. Call it dash fart, if you will. In my experience, it seems the newer the car the faster the windshield films over. It also seems to clean off best with a dry cloth. I've used any number of spray cleaners, but dry seems to clean it best.

I just had my windshield on the SVT replaced. Covered 100% by insurance. No aftermarket glass will be original Ford Solar Tint so you can forget that. It's possible to get from the junkyard but might not really be worth your time. It takes a long time to remove it without damaging the glass. Otherwise it's easy to get the old glass out.

The film on my windshield happened on the inside and outside. Windex made it worse. The best method to get rid of it was dry wiping/scrubbing with paper towels.

For the record the Maxima's windshield was fine, and I know tons of people with replaced windshields that are fine. It is possible the film had nothing to do with the windshield.

I found that using a 50/50 water and vinegar solution, removed the film effectively from the inside, and would keep it off for a week or so.

Just had mine replaced too. It got a small crack that spread a little bit, so they just replaced the whole thing. Didn't cost me a thing, insurance covered 100% with no deductible (would have been $273). Went through Safelite Auto Glass. They did it right in the driveway, outside. You can't drive the car for an hour afterwards, because the adhesive has to set.

They even were able to transfer the registration, inspection, a parking sticker, and my EZ-Pass onto the new windshield with a heat gun. The only difference between the old stock one and my new one is the new one has a strip of tint along the top (which I like better actually, it helps with glare).

I think new windshields come with a film on the inside to protect them (like SCUBA/snorkel masks do). I didn't realize till I went to put my GPS unit back on, and it kept falling off (I thought it was the temperature changing). Wiped it off with Windex, and haven't had a problem since.

Back