• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

all the lights flicker on my 99?

ssaleen

CEG'er
I have a 99 svt tour, and I just replaced the alternator and now all of the lights flicker. Has anyone else had this problem? My brothers 98 does it and now my 99 does it? Are reman alternators junk and I need to buy brand new or what? I don't get it.:shrug:

do they flicker at idle or at some engine speed off idle?

its possible you need to complete the alternator wiring mod or the alternator reman is junk ...

do they flicker at idle or at some engine speed off idle?

its possible you need to complete the alternator wiring mod or the alternator reman is junk ...

No they do not flicker at idle, just when you give it throttle. I'm calling Ford today to see about getting a brand new one. It's wierd because I've put alot of alternators in cars before and this has never been a problem. What and where do I get the wiring mod?
Thanks

you can not get a new one from Ford, reman only but the Ford ones are alot better ...

and for what its worth I had a 100% new one cause the lights to flicker off idle.

you can not get a new one from Ford, reman only but the Ford ones are alot better ...

and for what its worth I had a 100% new one cause the lights to flicker off idle.

I just called Ford and they claim they can get one for $292, they have to order it. So I'm sure it will be a new one. Are you saying yours did the same thing with a raman alt? I just want the lights to not flicker, because they never used to do it, so they shouldn't do it now, and doing alternators are not fun to just take in and out.

I just called Ford and they claim they can get one for $292, they have to order it. So I'm sure it will be a new one. Are you saying yours did the same thing with a raman alt? I just want the lights to not flicker, because they never used to do it, so they shouldn't do it now, and doing alternators are not fun to just take in and out.

i just picked one up last week from my local ford for $340 with a $75 core charge and thats a reman motorcraft unit, the parts guy said it's impossible to find a new one, i have a similar problem like you, my brake light and abs light stay stuck on when you get above 2500rpm's, but i think its becase my alternator is overcharging. i'm putting in this reman. alternator this friday so i'll have an update soon

i just picked one up last week from my local ford for $340 with a $75 core charge and thats a reman motorcraft unit, the parts guy said it's impossible to find a new one, i have a similar problem like you, my brake light and abs light stay stuck on when you get above 2500rpm's, but i think its becase my alternator is overcharging. i'm putting in this reman. alternator this friday so i'll have an update soon

Hmmm, thats what I was thinking also because he said there was a $75 core, and I thought if it was new they wouldn't need a core. So what to do, how do I get this problem to stop? take my alt back and get another one? or is there something else to do.

the taurus/sable with the vulcan engine appears to use the same alternator as the duratec ... its possitioned better and its easy to get to ... but either way you can get a junkyard one with low miles ... that is what I had and it actually worked really well .... the voltage never changed, with this reman ford one it will drop voltage at times ... but is still in spec for charging voltage ...

the taurus/sable with the vulcan engine appears to use the same alternator as the duratec ... its possitioned better and its easy to get to ... but either way you can get a junkyard one with low miles ... that is what I had and it actually worked really well .... the voltage never changed, with this reman ford one it will drop voltage at times ... but is still in spec for charging voltage ...

With the taurus one I would need the engine also wouldn't I? if it is in a better spot and easy to get to. I don't think I would get a junkyard one just because it may be good but you never know when I will crap out, and after I get this car all the way back together with the problem fixed I dont want to take it back apart for a while to do another one. The Ford reman one you got sounds like is isn't that good. I might go to Ford and get one of there reman's to try it out, but I just want my car back to the way it was before the alt took a crap.

I had to have my alt replaced last yr. They replaced it with a reman parts store brand alt and I had the same problem you are having. Lights flickered during accel and even at cruising speeds. Did a voltage test and it showed that the alt was charging but not consistently. They ended up replacing the alt with another reman parts store brand alt and this one has been holding up pretty good. No flickering lights except for when I have my system turned up. Do yourself a favor and go with the motorcraft model.

I had to have my alt replaced last yr. They replaced it with a reman parts store brand alt and I had the same problem you are having. Lights flickered during accel and even at cruising speeds. Did a voltage test and it showed that the alt was charging but not consistently. They ended up replacing the alt with another reman parts store brand alt and this one has been holding up pretty good. No flickering lights except for when I have my system turned up. Do yourself a favor and go with the motorcraft model.

Thanks for the info, I just did that and it solved the problem. I bought a reman from ford and no more flicker. So I am happy now.:eek:

Unfortunately, the VR is integral to the ALT. You can't pull only the VR while the ALT is in-vehicle.

True. Just like on my Mazdas its bolted to the alt but a few people used to get the fender mount voltage regulators and run those instead with great success. I wonder if thats an option with these ones as well.

I had the same problem with mine after i got it rebuilt. the guy rebuilt it with a 150A regulator and it caused the flicker. but what is really strange, is that after my clutch install, it stopped. It would only flicker at idle though.

Back