• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Pics only.... no time to explain

It just happened again. 3rd time now, but I was at work this time. Left the office, started it up, ran for about 1 minute and I hear the "gurgling" again :nonono: I called the oil place again and they said they are too busy to leave the shop and they probably can't do it tomorrow either. I am going to pick up a motorcraft filter or something tonight. I am ready to :cry: :(

Could I possibly have 3 bad filters in a row?

It just happened again. 3rd time now, but I was at work this time. Left the office, started it up, ran for about 1 minute and I hear the "gurgling" again :nonono: I called the oil place again and they said they are too busy to leave the shop and they probably can't do it tomorrow either. I am going to pick up a motorcraft filter or something tonight. I am ready to :cry: :(

Could I possibly have 3 bad filters in a row?

The first thing i think of is "double gasketing" sometimes if the place forgets to take off the old gasket from the old filter stuff like that could happen

or just buy a 3L.

hey wait......

get a real big allen wrench and make sure your oil cooler isn't loose. if your filter was overtightened, it could have backed out a bit when they took off the filter. highly unlikely, but if you keep having the same problem.....

Joe... do you honestly think that after how many years, you'd have 3 "bad" filters in a row.... I think there is something more to this issue than the filters... 1st one or 2... I might have thought that.... but 3!!! that's crazy..... I can't say I"ve ever seen a "bad" oil filter (first time for everything)...... I just noticed my last oil filter I did... had 2 rings on it..... the old plus the one that was on there.... I didn't have any catastrophic leaking, or any noticeable leaking to report... (thank god) Look on the bright side... It wasn't in your driveway this time :D

One of two things is happening here. Either they double gasketed the filter when they installed it- THREE TIMES IN A ROW (entirely possible, believe it or not), or your oil pump bypass valve is stuck closed. Three filters were not defective.

I will only use the Motorcraft filters on my svt. When my brother and I built his tour motor he bought the WIX filter, which I him told not to, but he doesnt listen, and that was the result. All of the oil all over the floor. So I had a extra Motorcraft filter that we put on and it was perfect.

I will only use the Motorcraft filters on my svt. When my brother and I built his tour motor he bought the WIX filter, which I him told not to, but he doesnt listen, and that was the result. All of the oil all over the floor. So I had a extra Motorcraft filter that we put on and it was perfect.

its not the oil filter. i'll bet my life on it. i believe i know whats wrong, im just hesitant to say anything until i find out for sure.

hey wait......

get a real big allen wrench and make sure your oil cooler isn't loose. if your filter was overtightened, it could have backed out a bit when they took off the filter. highly unlikely, but if you keep having the same problem.....

Non SVT...no oil cooler....

This is my only hunch right now. I think the media blasting material that I use for blasting parts for powder coating is ending up in the oil pump. "Black 98 svt" has had the same situation happen to him and seems to be right after he also installed his freshly powder coated valve covers.

I should have cleaned my valve cover insides after blasting WAY better (like toothbrush and magnify glass cleaning). I think the brown hue that was on the underside of the valve cover from the media was the oil pumps ultimate demise.... pole120 and I are pushing to get the motor pulled and install a new oil pump before SZ. It will be tight, but I will do whatever I can.....

SO EVERYONE WHO GETS PARTS POWDER COATED, CLEAN THEM! IT IS NOT MY JOB TO CLEAN YOUR ENTIRE PART. I ONLY BLAST, CLEAN, AND POWDER COAT WHAT I NEED TO.

I am being punished for my own carelessness :(

This is my only hunch right now. I think the media blasting material that I use for blasting parts for powder coating is ending up in the oil pump. "Black 98 svt" has had the same situation happen to him and seems to be right after he also installed his freshly powder coated valve covers.

I should have cleaned my valve cover insides after blasting WAY better (like toothbrush and magnify glass cleaning). I think the brown hue that was on the underside of the valve cover from the media was the oil pumps ultimate demise.... pole120 and I are pushing to get the motor pulled and install a new oil pump before SZ. It will be tight, but I will do whatever I can.....

SO EVERYONE WHO GETS PARTS POWDER COATED, CLEAN THEM! IT IS NOT MY JOB TO CLEAN YOUR ENTIRE PART. I ONLY BLAST, CLEAN, AND POWDER COAT WHAT I NEED TO.

I am being punished for my own carelessness :(
Ohhh snap, i never even thought about that.

Ugh...sorry to see the bad news. Garage and driveway look so immaculate. The car looks beautiful too! Glad to hear that you're troubleshooting beyond the filter. My first thought was "increase in oil pressure and the filter was just the weak link". I am not a mechanic and don't have the experience to offer detailed solutions. I'm just offering my support. It sounds like good possible solution has been offered. Good luck and keep us posted!

Back