• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Pics only.... no time to explain

Yah, I tried the dawn and scrub brush after I let the oil dry sit on it for about 15 minutes, and it is stained pretty bad..... This is how the story went:

Oil change monday night at 6pm. Went great, guys were nice, and it is the only place I have ever gotten my oil changed at since I owned this car (8 years).

Drove home 7 miles. Parked it in the driveway to take my engine bay pics that I just posted. Car sat in that spot in the driveway for 2 hrs then I moved it in the garage. No oil spots in the driveway.

Wake up to go to work the next morning (tuesday). Start the car up and immediatly hear "gurgling". Ran it for about 4-6 seconds. Turned it off. All the oil squirted out from the filter :shrug: WTF?

I called the lube place and they were at my house within 20 minutes. Jacked the car up, installed new filter and filled with oil. Started it up and checked for leaks. Everythin is tight and no leaks. COOL.

He leaves and I decide I want to clean up the mess in the garage because apparently he wasn't going to do it. I start it up, no "gurgling", good, back up enough that now my car is halfway out the garage. It starts gurgling again! ****!

I pulled it off into the grass so I didn't track the oil on the new driveway more than it already has. Called up the lube place and talked to the owner.

He says "bla bla I've been doing this for 13 years bla bla your wire harness is bad or something bla bla bla tow it somewhere and have them look at it bla bla bla I will come out one more time to put another filter on and fill it again bla bla".

I said "ok"

He was going up and down about how it is not the filter and what do you know..... the 3rd filter is good :shrug:.

No leaks, smoking car, and 3 oil changes later I am back on the road to the lube place for free carwashes to clean the oil off the car......

I think it was their cheap ass filters. What do you guys think?

BTW, no motor damage because I am smart enough to shut it down when something is wrong.... they are lucky I did that.

I think I am going to give the car away, because it is just bad news for me. I am kind of worried to go and start it this morning :eek:. I will let you all know what happens...... wish me luck :crossfingers:

Good to hear that you were shutting the engine down instead of letting it run...... Weird that 2 oil filters had issues... did they not get them tight enough.. or leave the old rings on..... Joe... this is why I do my own oil changes, yes it takes some time... but at least I know it's done right then....

You could always give your car to me.... :D I'll take care of her

I am glad that everyone wants to help me out by TAKING MY CAR! :laugh: I MIGHT change my own oil from now on, but probably not - I will be taking the motorcraft filter with me if I return to that place.....

The only reason I go to a stealership is get my oil changed. They use motorcraft filters and they love SVTs. I just talk to the cool techs and they do it right. I never worry. Id rather stick that jalapeno in my own eye versus taking the car to a quick lube. My brother had this exact problem with his car. If I dont go to the stealership I go to where my friend works. If you give away the car I WANT THOSE RIMS!!!!!

Not that I've ever seen that happen before... Mine is pretty similar, but I have no one to blame but myself. :blackeye:
My wife started up the Exploder, backed up about 10 feet, saw oil, and shut it off immediately (lucky her!!). I was at work, so she called me and told me about it, I suspected the worst, so I had it towed to the local garage. Turns out that the oil filter gasket from the last filter wasn't removed, so I doubled up, and that equals a mess in my garage and driveway.

I have the driveway pretty clean, I think ammonia did the best work. I cannot get the garage floor looking good though. You can't really see a stain in the drive way until it rains or gets very humid, then you can see exactly where it was.
I hope to epoxy my garage this summer, but who knows...
x1.JPG

x2.JPG

That looks just like my mess :laugh:! Thanks for posting, I will try the ammonia if the steam pressure wash and concrete degreaser does not work....

I am not too concerned with the garage floor because you can't see it when the door is closed. But the driveway really urkes me because I poured that 8" slab (yes, 8" (20 yards of concrete)) on the first two hot days in '07 where it was 102 degrees+ both days. I thought I was going to die. I had 2 friends helping luckily..... :crazy: We had to wheelbarrel 15 yards of it because I poured the driveway the same day they poured my new curb and gutter and we couldn't get the crete truck any closer. The street was being re-done at the time. :pissed:

Last edited:
Damn Joe, 8" of concrete? I'm pretty sure 6" is considered construction grade, where 3" I believe is residential?

Mark

Doesn't matter now :eek:. Regular dirt with 2" of crushed limestone. I wanted to be able to park anything on it :laugh:.

that sucks, glad your car didn't get damaged...i just find it odd that you could pour a driveway yourself but not change the oil? :confused:

That is exactly what I am going to do from now on. Not that I am too lazy to change my own oil, I don't want it sitting around in my garage and I don't want to lug it around to a place that will dispose of it..... :crazy: It is a headache just jacking it up anyway.

if you can't change the oil, maybe you should give it away.

honestly though. oil changes are cheap, and anywhere that sells oil is required by law to take it to dispose of. just about any gas station has a tank in the back if you bother to look, where you can dump your old oil. i would never mess around with a shop working on my car. no thanks! sorry about the driveway.

Joe, don't I remember a post by you some time ago where you were leaking oil. You had picks posted. I think you were going through Allenton?
Whats with you and leaking oil????

why was there 11 quarts? for some reason it isn't adding up for me. I can only fit about 4 1/2 in mine.

Joe, don't I remember a post by you some time ago where you were leaking oil. You had picks posted. I think you were going through Allenton?
Whats with you and leaking oil????

Yah, that was a different year :crazy: Busted my oil pan going through road construction and drove 15 miles before I stopped. No oil left in the motor either.... :nonono: My car wants to kill itself. It is still great though :)

DSC01192.jpg

DSC01205.jpg

DSC01217.jpg

Last edited:
Back